Notice Of An Opportunity To Apply For Membership On The Manufacturing Council.
The Department of Commerce is currently seeking applications to fill six vacant positions on the Manufacturing Council (Council). The purpose of the Council is to advise the Secretary of Commerce on matters relating to the competitiveness of the U.S. manufacturing sector and to provide a forum for regular communication between Government and the manufacturing sector.
Table of Contents Back to Top
ADDRESSES: Back to Top
Please submit application information via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Jennifer Pilat, Office of Advisory Committees, Manufacturing Council Executive Secretariat, U.S. Department of Commerce, Room 4043, 1401 Constitution Avenue NW., Washington, DC 20230.
DATES: Back to Top
All applications must be received by the Office of Advisory Committees by close of business on February 9, 2012.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Back to Top
Jennifer Pilat, Manufacturing Council Executive Secretariat, Room 4043, 1401 Constitution Avenue NW., Washington, DC 20230, telephone: (202) 482-4501, email: email@example.com.
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: Back to Top
The Office of Advisory Committees is accepting applications for six vacant positions on the Council for the current two-year charter term that began April 8, 2010. The appointed members shall serve until September 30, 2012 and would be eligible for possible reappointment. The member will be selected, in accordance with applicable Department of Commerce guidelines, based on his or her ability to advise the Secretary of Commerce on matters relating to the U.S. manufacturing sector, to act as a liaison among the stakeholders represented by the membership and to provide a forum for those stakeholders on current and emerging issues in the manufacturing sector. The Council's membership shall reflect the diversity of American manufacturing by representing a balanced cross-section of the U.S. manufacturing industry in terms of industry sectors, geographic locations, demographics, and company size, particularly seeking the representation of small- and medium-sized enterprises. Based on the diversity of the manufacturing industry currently represented on the Council, the Department is particularly encouraging applicants from the high-tech or bio-tech manufacturing and alternative energy manufacturing sectors. Additional factors that may be considered in the selection of these Council members include each candidate's proven experience in promoting, developing and marketing programs in support of manufacturing industries, proven experience in job creation in the manufacturing sector, and proven abilities to manage manufacturing organizations. Given the duties and objectives of the Council, the Department particularly seeks applicants who are active manufacturing executives (Chief Executive Officer, President, or a comparable level of responsibility) and who are leaders within their local manufacturing communities and industries.
Each Council member serves as the representative of a U.S. entity in the manufacturing sector. For the purposes of eligibility, a U.S. entity is defined as a firm incorporated in the United States (or an unincorporated firm with its principal place of business in the United States) that is controlled by U.S. citizens or by another U.S. entity. An entity is not a U.S. entity if 50 percent plus one share of its stock (if a corporation, or a similar ownership interest of an unincorporated entity) is controlled, directly or indirectly, by non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. entities.
Appointments to the Council will be made by the Secretary of Commerce. All Council members serve at the discretion of the Secretary of Commerce. Council members shall serve in a representative capacity, representing the views and interests of their particular subsector within the manufacturing sector. Council members are not Special Government Employees.
Council members receive no compensation for their participation in Council activities. Members participating in Council meetings and events are responsible for their travel, living and other personal expenses. Meetings are held regularly and not less than annually, usually in Washington, DC. Members are required to attend a majority of the Council's meetings. The current Council last convened for a briefing on September 29, 2011 in Washington, DC. The next meeting is scheduled to take place on January 20, 2012 in Washington, DC. See 76 FR 79655 (Dec. 22, 2011) for further details. To be considered for membership, please provide the following:
1. Name and title of the individual requesting consideration.
2. A sponsor letter from the applicant on his or her entity's letterhead or, if the applicant is to represent an entity other than his or her employer, a letter from the entity to be represented, containing a brief statement of why the applicant should be considered for membership on the Council. This sponsor letter should also address the applicant's manufacturing-related experience, including any manufacturing trade policy experience.
3. The applicant's personal resume.
4. An affirmative statement that the applicant meets all eligibility criteria.
5. An affirmative statement that the applicant is not required to register as a foreign agent under the Foreign Agents Registration Act of 1938, as amended.
6. An affirmative statement that the applicant is not a federally registered lobbyist, and that the applicant understands that, if appointed, the applicant will not be allowed to continue to serve as a Council member if the applicant becomes a federally registered lobbyist.
7. Information regarding the control of the entity to be represented, including the governing structure and stock holdings, as appropriate, signifying compliance with the criteria set forth above.
8. The entity's size and ownership, product or service line and major markets in which the entity operates.
9. Please include all relevant contact information such as mailing address, fax, email, phone number, and support staff information where relevant.
Dated: January 5, 2012.
Executive Secretary, The Manufacturing Council.
[FR Doc. 2012-731 Filed 1-13-12; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3510-DR-P