Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
EPA is announcing the availability for comment of a paper discussing options to enable the Agency to appropriately implement the new provisions contained in section 408(i) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) to address exclusive use and compensation rights for data submitted to EPA in support of tolerance and tolerance exemption actions.
Comments, identified by docket control number OPP-00621, must be received on or before March 20, 2000.
Comments may be submitted by mail, electronically, or in person. Please follow the detailed instructions for each method as provided in Unit I. of the “SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION.” To ensure proper receipt by EPA, it is imperative that you identify docket control number OPP-00621 in the subject line on the first page of your response.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Cameo G. Smoot, Field and External Affairs Division (7506C), Office of Pesticide Programs, Environmental Protection Agency, 401 M St., SW., Washington, DC 20460; telephone number: (703) 305-5454; fax number: (703) 305-5884; e-mail address: email@example.com.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
I. General Information
A. Does this Action Apply to Me?
This action is directed to the public in general. This action may, however, be of interest to you if you submit data to EPA in support of establishing or maintaining tolerances for pesticides, or are a pesticide registrant or a person applying for pesticide registration under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA). You may also be interested in commenting if you submit data to EPA in support of an exemption from a tolerance. Since other entities may also be interested, the Agency has not attempted to describe all the specific entities that may be affected by this action. If you have any questions regarding the applicability of this action to a particular entity, consult the person listed under “FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.”
B. How Can I Get Additional Information, Including Copies of this Document and Other Related Documents?
1. Electronically. You may obtain electronic copies of this document, and certain other related documents that might be available electronically, from the EPA Internet Home Page at http://www.epa.gov/. To access this document, on the Home Page select “Laws and Regulations” and then look up the entry for this document under the “Federal Register-—Environmental Documents.” You can also go directly to the Federal Register listings at http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/. You may obtain a copy of the options paper titled “Data Submitter Rights for Data Submitted in Support of Tolerance Actions” described in this notice by accessing this Federal Register notice using the Federal Register--Environmental Documents cite on the EPA's Internet and selecting “Related Documents.” Hard copies of the options paper are available by consulting with the person listed under “FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.”
2. In person. The Agency has established an official record for this action under docket control number OPP-00621. The official record consists of the documents specifically referenced in this action, any public comments received during an applicable comment period, and other information related to this action, including any information claimed as confidential business information (CBI). This official record includes the documents that are physically located in the docket, as well as the documents that are referenced in those documents. The public version of the official record does not include any information claimed as CBI. The public version of the official record, which includes printed, paper versions of any electronic comments submitted during an applicable comment period, is available for inspection in the Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Rm. 119, Crystal Mall 2, 1921 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Arlington, VA, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays. The PIRIB telephone number is (703) 305-5805.
C. How and to Whom Do I Submit Comments?
You may submit comments through the mail, in person, or electronically. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, it is imperative that you identify docket control number OPP-00621 in the subject line on the first page of your response.
1. By mail. Submit your comments to: Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Information Resources and Services Division (7502C), Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP), Environmental Protection Agency, 401 M St., SW., Washington, DC 20460.
2. In person or by courier. Deliver your comments to: Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Information Resources and Services Division (7502C), Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP), Environmental Protection Agency, Rm. 119, Crystal Mall 2, 1921 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Arlington, VA. The PIRIB is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays. The PIRIB telephone number is (703) 305-5805.
3. Electronically. You may submit your comments electronically by e-mail to: “firstname.lastname@example.org,” or you can submit a computer disk as described in this unit. Do not submit any information electronically that you consider to be CBI. Avoid the use of special characters and any form of encryption. Electronic submissions will be accepted in WordPerfect 6.1/8.0 or ASCII file format. All comments in electronic form must be identified by docket control number OPP-00621. Electronic comments may also be filed online at many Federal Depository Libraries.
D. How Should I Handle CBI that I Want to Submit to the Agency?
Do not submit any information electronically that you consider to be CBI. You may claim information that you submit to EPA in response to this document as CBI by marking any part or all of that information as CBI. Information so marked will not be disclosed except in accordance with procedures set forth in 40 CFR part 2. In addition to one complete version of the comment that includes any information claimed as CBI, a copy of the comment that does not contain the information claimed as CBI must be submitted for inclusion in the public version of the official record. Information not marked confidential Start Printed Page 2948will be included in the public version of the official record without prior notice. If you have any questions about CBI or the procedures for claiming CBI, please consult the person identified under “FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.”
E. What Should I Consider as I Prepare My Comments for EPA?
You may find the following suggestions helpful for preparing your comments:
1. Explain your views as clearly as possible.
2. Describe any assumptions that you used.
3. Provide copies of any technical information and/or data you used that support your views.
4. If you estimate potential burden or costs, explain how you arrived at the estimate that you provide.
5. Provide specific examples to illustrate your concerns.
6. Offer alternative ways to improve the rule or collection activity.
7. Make sure to submit your comments by the deadline in this notice.
8. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, be sure to identify the docket control number assigned to this action in the subject line on the first page of your response. You may also provide the name, date, and Federal Register citation.
II. What Action is the Agency Taking?
EPA is making available for comment an options paper on exclusive use and data compensation rights for data submitted to the Agency in support of tolerance and tolerance exemption actions. As part of the Food Quality Protection Act of 1996, Congress amended section 408(i) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA) addressing such rights. The Agency is currently evaluating how to implement this new provision and is seeking public comment. The options paper briefly discusses the new section 408(i) of the FFDCA and the Agency's practices regarding data compensation and exclusive use; the current compensation and exclusive use process the Agency implements under section 3 of the FIFRA, and presents three options for implementing the new provision. The options represent different interpretations focusing on who the data submitters may be. However, the Agency also seeks comments on other interpretations of section 408(i) and suggested procedures for implementing any option. Commenters are particularly encouraged to offer suggestions for workable procedures for their preferred options.
EPA will consider the comments received and develop a detailed proposal for implementing data rights under section 408(i) of FFDCA.Start List of Subjects
List of SubjectsEnd List of Subjects Start Signature
Dated: January 5, 2000.
Marcia E. Mulkey,
Director, Office of Pesticide Programs.
[FR Doc. 00-1063 Filed 1-18-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 6560-50-F