Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization.
The Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The information collection was previously published in Federal Register on March 22, 2000 at 65 FR 15356, allowing for a 60-day public comment period. No comments were received by the INS on this proposed information collection.
The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comments. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until June 23, Start Printed Page 335812000. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Stuart Shapiro, Department of Justice Desk Officer, Room 10235, Washington, DC 20530; 202-395-7316.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Application to Preserve residence for Naturalization.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form N-470. Adjudications Division, Immigration and Naturalization service.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or Households. The information will be used to determine whether an alien who intends to be absent from United States for a period of one year or more is eligible to preserve residence for naturalization purposes.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 300 responses at 15 minutes (.25) hours per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 75 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan 202-514-3291, Director, Policy Directives and Instructions Branch, Immigration and Naturalization Service, U.S. Department of Justice, Room 5307, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management Division, Suite 850, Washington Center, 1001 G Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: May 19, 2000.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
[FR Doc. 00-13045 Filed 5-23-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-18-M