Notice of information collection under review; Extension of a currently approved collection; Report of Mail Order Transactions.
Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval is being sought for the information collection listed below. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register on May 16, 2000, allowing for a 60-day public comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comment until August 21, 2000. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10. Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Department of Justice Desk Officer, Washington, DC 20503. Additionally, comments may be submitted to OMB via facsimile to 202-395-7285. Comments may also be submitted to the Department of Justice (DOJ), Justice Management Division, Information Management and Security Staff, Attention: Deparment Clearance Officer, Suite 1221, National Place Building, 1331 Pennsylvania Ave., NW., Washington, DC 20530. Additionally, comments may be submitted to DOJ via facsimile to (202) 14-1590.
Written comments and/or suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
1. Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the function of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
2. Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
3. Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
4. Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
1. Type of information collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
2. Their title of the form/collection: Report of Mail Order Transactions.
3. The agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: Form No.: None. Applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection; Office of Diversion Control, Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Department of Justice.
4. Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. Other: None. Abstract: The Comprehensive Methamphetamine Control Act of 1996 (Public Law 104-237) (MCA) amended the Controlled Substances Act to require that each regulated person who engages in a transaction with a non-regulated person which involves ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or phenylpropanolamine (including drug products containing these chemicals) and use or attempts to use the Postal Service or any private or commercial carrier shall, on a monthly basis, submit a report of each such transaction conducted during the previous month to the Attorney General.
5. An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply: 100 respondents, 12 hour per response.
6. An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 1200 annual burden hours.
Public comments on this proposed information collection are strongly encouraged.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Department Clearance Officer, U.S. Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 1221, National Place Building, 1331 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: July 17, 2000.
Robert B. Briggs,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 00-18546 Filed 7-20-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-09-M