National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
This final rule amends the NASA FAR Supplement (NFS) to: allow grant officers to waive the submission of certain documents as part of the purchase request (PR) package for a grant; provide for the award of purchase orders, when appropriate, for awards less than the simplified acquisition threshold resulting from broad agency announcements; and make miscellaneous editorial and technical corrections.
July 31, 2000.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Tom Deback, NASA Headquarters Office of Procurement, Contract Management Division (Code HK), Washington, DC 20546, (202) 358-0431, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The newly revised Grant Handbook no longer requires the submission of the NASA Research Announcement (NRA), results of the technical evaluation, and other documents as part of the PR package. The revised guidance also provides that if an action resulting from a broad agency announcement is to be awarded as a contract action and is less than the simplified acquisition threshold, the action may be completed as a purchase order. This final rule brings the NFS into agreement with the Grant handbook. Additionally, miscellaneous editorial and technical corrections are made to sections 1801.106, 1808.002-72, 1811.1, 1819.7206, 1842.7001, 1852.242-73, and Parts 1816 and 1831 to update listing of OMB approvals; correct citations, terminology, and titles; and provide consistent guidance on clause modification.
B. Regulatory Flexibility Act
This final rule does not constitute a significant revision within the meaning of FAR 1.501 and Pub Law 98-577 and publication for comments is not required. However, NASA will consider comments from small entities concerning the affected NFS subparts in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 610.
C. Paperwork Reduction Act
The Paperwork Reduction Act does not apply because the changes to the NFS do not impose any recordkeeping or information collection requirements that require the approval of the Office of Management and Budget under 44 U.S.C. 3501, et seq.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 48 CFR Parts 1801, 1808, 1811, 1813, 1816, 1819, 1835, 1842, 1851, and 1852
- Government procurement
Associate Administrator for Procurement.
Accordingly, 48 CFR parts 1801, 1808, 1811, 1813, 1816, 1819, 1835, 1842, 1851, and 1852 are amended as follows:End Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
1. The authority citation for 48 CFR parts 1801, 1808, 1811, 1813, 1816, 1819, 1835, 1842, 1851, and 1852 continues to read as follows:End Amendment Part Start Part
PART 1801—FEDERAL ACQUISITION REGULATIONS SYSTEMEnd Part Start Amendment Part
2. In section 1801.106, revise the chart in paragraph (1) to read as follows:End Amendment Part
(1) * * *
|NFS Segment||OMB Control No.|
PART 1808—REQUIRED SOURCES OF SUPPLIES AND SERVICES
3. In section 1808.002-72, amend paragraph (j) by removing “%” whenever it appears and adding “percent” in its place.End Amendment Part Start Part Start Printed Page 46628
PART 1811—DESCRIBING AGENCY NEEDSEnd Part Start Amendment Part
4. Add Subpart 1811.1 title to read as follows:End Amendment Part
Subpart 1811.1—Selecting and Developing Requirements Documents
PART 1813—SIMPLIFIED ACQUISITION PROCEDURESEnd Part Start Amendment Part
5. Revise section 1813.000 to read as follows:End Amendment Part
FAR Part 13 and 1813 do not apply to NASA Research Announcements (NRA) and Announcements of Opportunity (AO). These acquisitions shall be conducted in accordance with the procedures in 1835.016-71 and 1872, respectively. However, awards resulting from NRAs or AOs that are to be made as procurement instruments, can be made as either a contract or a purchase order. When a purchase order is used, it must not exceed the simplified acquisition threshold and must include the appropriate clauses pertaining to data rights, key personnel requirements, and any other requirements determined necessary by the contracting officer. Contracting officers must determine whether obtaining the contractor's acceptance of the order is necessary (see FAR 13.302-3(a)).
PART 1816—TYPES OF CONTRACTS
6. In section 1816.405-274, amend the first sentence of paragraph (g)(4) by removing the words “(f)(1) through (f)(3)” and adding the words “(g)(1) through (g)(3)” in its place.End Amendment Part
7. In section 1816.505, amend paragraph (b)(5) by removing the reference “1815.70” and adding “1815.7001” in its place.End Amendment Part
8. In section 1816.505-70, amend paragraph (b) by removing the reference “1816.404-270(a)” and adding the reference “1816.104-70(a)” in its place.End Amendment Part Start Part
PART 1819—SMALL BUSINESS PROGRAMS
9. In section 1819.7206, amend the first sentence of paragraph (a) by removing the words “as a subfactor” from the end of the sentence.End Amendment Part Start Part
PART 1831—CONTRACT COST PRINCIPLES AND PROCEDURES
10. In section 1831.205-670, amend paragraphs (a) introductory text, (b) introductory text, (c)(1) and (2), (e), (f), and (g) by removing the word “shall” and adding “must” in its place.End Amendment Part
11. In section 1831.205-32, amend paragraphs (2) and (3) by removing the word “shall” and adding “must” in its place.End Amendment Part
12. Amend section 1831.205-70 by removing the word “shall” and adding “must” in its place.End Amendment Part
13. Amend section 1831.205-671 by removing the word “shall” and adding “must” in its place.End Amendment Part Start Part
PART 1835—RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CONTRACTINGEnd Part Start Amendment Part
14. In section 1835.016-71, revise paragraphs (d)(8)(i) and (ii) to read as follows:End Amendment Part
(d) * * *
(8) * * *
(i) A copy of the NRA (This requirement may be waived in the case of a grant award at the discretion of the grant officer);
(ii) The results of the technical evaluation, including the total number of proposals received, the selection statement, and the listing of proposal(s) selected for funding (These requirements may be waived in the case of a grant award at the discretion of the grant officer if the purchase request specifically references the NRA number and states that the proposal forwarded for funding was selected under the NRA.);
PART 1842—CONTRACT ADMINISTRATION AND AUDIT SERVICESEnd Part Start Amendment Part
15. In section 1842.7001, revise paragraph (c) to read as follows:End Amendment Part
(c) The clause may be used with its Alternate II in cost-reimbursement contracts when it is desired that administrative leave be granted contractor personnel in special circumstances, such as inclement weather or potentially hazardous conditions. This alternate may be appropriately modified for fixed-price contracts.
PART 1851—USE OF GOVERNMENT SOURCES BY CONTRACTORS
16. In section 1851.102, amend paragraph (e)(3) at the end of the section by removing “NHB 4100.1” and adding “NPG 4100.1” in its place.End Amendment Part Start Part
PART 1852—SOLICITATION PROVISIONS AND CONTRACT CLAUSES
17. In section 1852.242-73, revise the date “(JULY 1997)” to read “(JULY 2000)” and amend paragraph (a) by removing the words “Policy Guidance” and adding the words “Procedures and Guidelines” in its place.End Amendment Part End Supplemental Information
[FR Doc. 00-19269 Filed 7-28-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7510-01-P