U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
Notice of the OMB review of information collection and solicitation of public comment.
The NRC has recently submitted to OMB for review the following proposal for the collection of information under the provisions of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C. Chapter 35). The NRC hereby informs potential respondents that an agency may not conduct or sponsor, and that a person is not required to respond to, a collection of information unless it displays a currently valid OMB control number.
Information pertaining to the requirement to be submitted:
1. Type of submission, new, revision, or extension: Revision to the extension.
2. The title of the information collection: 10 CFR Part 71, “Packaging and Transportation of Radioactive Material.”
3. The form number, if applicable: None.
4. How often the collection is required: Applications for package certification may be made at any time. Required reports are collected and evaluated on a continuing basis as events occur.
5. Who is required or asked to report: All NRC specific licensees who place byproduct, source, or special nuclear material into transportation, and all persons who wish to apply for NRC approval of package designs for use in such transportation.
6. An estimate of the number of responses: 1,106 responses.
7. The number of annual respondents: 350 licensees.
8. The number of hours needed annually to complete the requirement or request: 57,012 hours for reporting requirements and 6,825 for recordkeeping requirements, or a total of 63,837 hours (approximately 182 hours per respondent).
9. An indication of whether Section 3507(d), Pub. L. 104-13 applies: Not applicable.
10. Abstract: NRC regulations in 10 CFR Part 71 establish requirements for packing, preparation for shipment, and transportation of licensed material, and prescribe procedures, standards, and requirements for approval by NRC of packaging and shipping procedures for Start Printed Page 51342fissile material and for quantities of licensed material in excess of Type A quantities.
A copy of the final supporting statement may be viewed free of charge at the NRC Public Document Room, 2120 L Street, NW (lower level), Washington, DC. OMB clearance requests are available at the NRC worldwide web site (http://www.nrc.gov/NRC/PUBLIC/OMB/index.html). The document will be available on the NRC home page site for 60 days after the signature date of this notice.
Comments and questions should be directed to the OMB reviewer by September 22, 2000: Erik Godwin, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (3150-0008), NEOB-10202, Office of Management and Budget, Washington, DC 20503.
Comments can also be submitted by telephone at (202) 395-3087.
The NRC Clearance Officer is Brenda Jo. Shelton, 301-415-7233.Start Signature
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 17th day of August 2000.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Beth C. St. Mary,
Acting NRC Clearance Officer, Office of the Chief Information Officer.
[FR Doc. 00-21515 Filed 8-22-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P