Natural Resources Conservation Service, Agriculture.
The Natural Resources Conservation Service is amending its regulations regarding responsibilities for conducting important farmland inventories under the Federal Crop Insurance Reform and Department of Agriculture Reorganization Act of 1994 (the 1994 Act). The amendments reflect changes to individual and organizational titles made since the regulations were originally drafted.
September 25, 2000.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Horace Smith, Division Director, Soil Survey Division, Natural Resources Conservation Service, P.O. Box 2890, Washington, D.C. 20013; 202-720-1820.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
This final rule makes corrections to nomenclature in the regulations for conducting important farmland inventories (7 CFR Start Printed Page 57538Part 657, Subpart A.) Since the implementing legislation was passed, the names of the offices and titles of officials charged with conducting important farmland inventories have changed. This amendment reflects those changes. In addition, this rule amends the authority citation to clarify the list of statutory authorities for the inventories.
These rules are not expected to have significant economic impact under the criteria of the Regulatory Flexibility Act. They will not impose information collection requirements under the provisions of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1980, 44 U.S.C. Chapter 35.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 7 CFR Part 657
For the reasons set forth above, Subpart A, Part 657 of Chapter VI of Title 7 of the Code of Federal Regulations is amended as follows:End Amendment Part Start Part
PART 657—PRIME AND UNIQUE FARMLAND
Subpart A—Important Farmlands InventoryEnd Part Start Amendment Part
1. The authority citation for Subpart A, Part 657 is revised to read as follows:End Amendment Part
2. Section 657.4(a)(3)(iii) is amended by revising “NRCS Technical Service Centers (TSC's). (See 7 600.3, 600.6)” to read “National Soil Survey Center. (see 7 CFR 600.2(c), 600.6)”.End Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
3. Section 657.4(a)(4) is amended by revising the first sentence to read as follows: “Coordinate soil mapping units that qualify as prime farmlands with adjacent States, including Major Land Resource Area Offices (see 7 CFR 600.4, 600.7) responsible for the soil series.”End Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
4. Section 657.4(a)(6) is amended by revising “Administrator” to read “Chief”.End Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
5. Section 657.4(b) is amended by revising the heading and the first sentence to read as follows: “ National Soil Survey Center. The National Soil Survey Center is to provide requested technical assistance to State Conservationists and Major Land Resource Area Offices in inventorying prime and unique farmlands (see 7 CFR 600.2(c)(1), 600.4, 600.7).”End Amendment Part Start Amendment PartEnd Amendment Part Start Signature
Signed in Washington, D.C. on September 14, 2000.
Pearlie S. Reed,
[FR Doc. 00-24525 Filed 9-22-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3410-16-P