Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Extension of a Currently Approved Collection: Capital Punishment Report of Inmates under Sentence of Death.Start Printed Page 62753
The Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. This proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until December 18, 2000.
Request written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g. permitting electronic submission of responses.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or additional information, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, please write to Dr. Jan M. Chaiken, Director, Bureau of Justice Statistics, 810 Seventh St. NW, Washington, DC 20531. If you need a copy of the collection instrument with instructions, or have additional information, please contact Tracy L. Snell at 202-616-3288, or via facsimile at 202-514-1757.
Overview of the information collection:
(1) Type of information collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) The title of the Form/Collection: Capital Punishment Report of Inmates under Sentence of Death.
(3) The agency form number and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection. Form: NPS-8 Report of Inmates Under Sentence of Death; NPS-8A Update Report of Inmates Under Sentence of Death; NPS-8B Status of Death Penalty—No Statute in Force; and NPS-8C Status of Death Penalty—Statute in Force. Corrections Unit, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Office of Justice Programs, United States Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: State Departments of Corrections and Attorneys General. Others: The Federal Bureau of Prisons. Approximately 104 respondents (two from each State, the District of Columbia, and the Federal Bureau of Prisons) responsible for keeping records on inmates under sentence of death in their jurisdiction and in their custody will be asked to provide information for the following categories: condemned inmates' demographic characteristics, legal status at the time of capital offense, capital offense for which imprisoned, number of death sentences imposed, criminal history information, reason for removal and current status if no longer under sentence of death, method of execution, and cause of death by other than by execution. The Bureau of Justice Statistics uses this information in published reports and for the U.S. Congress, Executive Office of the President, State officials, international organizations, researchers, students, the media, and others interested in criminal justice statistics.
(5) An estimate of the total number of responses and the amount of time estimated for an average response: 292 responses at 30 minutes each for the NPS-8; 3,452 responses at 30 minutes each for the NPS-8A; and 52 responses at 15 minutes each for the NPS-8B or NPS-8C.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 1,885 annual burden hours.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 1220, 1331 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, National Place Building, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: October 13, 2000.
Robert B. Briggs,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 00-26926 Filed 10-18-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-18-M