Department of the Air Force, DoD.
The Department of the Air Force is revising our rules on the Release, Dissemination, and Sale of Visual Information Materials to reflect current polices. These rules implement Air Force Instruction (AFI) 33-117, Visual Information Management, and apply to all Air Force activities.
December 1, 2000.
Mr. Raymond Dabney, HQ AFCIC/ITSM, 1250 Air Force Pentagon, Washington, DC 20330-1250, 703-588-6136.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Mr. Raymond Dabney, HQ AFCIC/ITSM, 703-588-6136.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The Department of the Air Force is revising our rules on the Release, Dissemination, and Sale of Visual Information Materials of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs) (32 CFR part 811) to reflect current policies. This part implements Air Force Instruction (AFI) 33-117, Visual Information Management, and apply to all Air Force activities. This part was published as a proposed rule in the Federal Register on December 28, 1999 (64 FR 72621, FR Doc. 99-33604). Comments were solicited for 60 days ending on February 28, 2000. No comments were received.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 32 CFR Part 811End List of Subjects Start Amendment Part
For the reasons stated in the preamble, the Department of the Air Force is revisingEnd Amendment Part Start Part
PART 811—RELEASE, DISSEMINATION, AND SALE OF VISUAL INFORMATION MATERIALS
- Release of visual information materials.
- Official requests for visual information productions or materials.
- Selling visual information materials.
- Customers exempt from fees.
- Visual information product/material loans.
- Collecting and controlling fees.
- Forms prescribed and availability of publications.
The regulations in this part do not apply to:
(a) Visual information (VI) materials made for the Air Force Office of Special Investigations for use in an investigation or a counterintelligence report. (See Air Force Instruction (AFI) 90-301, The Inspector General Complaints, which describes who may use these materials.)
(b) VI materials made during Air Force investigations of aircraft or missile mishaps according to AFI 91-204, Safety Investigations and Reports. (See AFI 90-301.)
(a) Only the Secretary of the Air Force for Public Affairs (SAF/PA) clears and releases Air Force materials for use outside Department of Defense (DoD), according to AFI 35-205, Air Force Security and Policy Review Program.
(b) The Secretary of the Air Force for Legislative Liaison (SAF/LL) arranges the release of VI material through SAF/PA when a member of Congress asks for them for official use.
(c) The International Affairs Division (HQ USAF/CVAII) or, in some cases, the major command (MAJCOM) Foreign Disclosure Office, must authorize release of classified and unclassified Start Printed Page 64620materials to foreign governments and international organizations or their representatives.
(a) Send official Air Force requests for productions or materials from the DoD Central Records Centers by letter or message. Include:
(1) Descriptions of the images needed, including media format, dates, etc.
(2) Visual information record identification number (VIRIN), production, or Research, development, test, and evaluation (RDT&E) identification numbers, if known.
(3) Intended use and purpose of the material.
(4) The date needed and a statement of why products are needed on a specific date.
(b) Send inquiries about motion picture or television materials to the Defense Visual Information Center (DVIC), 1363 Z Street, Building 2730, March ARB, CA 92518-2703.
(c) Send Air Force customer inquiries about still photographic materials to 11 CS/SCUA, Bolling AFB, Washington, DC 20332-0403 (the Air Force accessioning point).
(d) Send non-Air Force customers' inquiries about still photographic materials to the DVIC.
(a) Air Force VI activities cannot sell materials.
(b) HQ AFCIC/ITSM may approve the loan of copies of original materials for federal government use.
(c) Send requests to buy:
(1) Completed, cleared, productions, to the National Archives and Records Administration, National Audiovisual Center, Information Office, 8700 Edgeworth Drive, Capitol Heights, MD 20722-3701.
(2) Nonproduction VI motion media to the DVIC. The center may sell other Air Force VI motion picture and television materials, such as historical and stock footage. When it sells VI motion media, the DVIC assesses charges, unless § 811.5 exempts the requesting activity.
(3) VI still media to the DoD Still Media Records Center (SMRC), Attn: SSRC, Washington, DC 20374-1681. When SMRC sells VI still media, the SMRC assesses charges, unless § 811.5 exempts the requesting activity.
Title III of the 1968 Intergovernmental Cooperation Act (42 U.S.C. 4201, 4231, and 4233) exempts some customers from paying for products and loans. This applies if the supplier has sufficient funds and if the exemption does not impair its mission. The requesting agency must certify that the materials are not commercially available. When requests for VI material do not meet exemption criteria, the requesting agency pays the fees. Exempted customers include:
(a) DoD and other government agencies asking for materials for official activities (see DoD Instruction 4000.19, Interservice, and Intergovernmental Support, August 9, 1995, and DoD Directive 5040.2, Visual Information (VI), December 7, 1987.
(b) Members of Congress asking for VI materials for official activities.
(c) VI records center materials or services furnished according to law or Executive Order.
(d) Federal, state, territorial, county, municipal governments, or their agencies, for activities contributing to an Air Force or DoD objective.
(e) Nonprofit organizations for public health, education, or welfare purposes.
(f) Armed Forces members with a casualty status, their next of kin, or authorized representative, if VI material requested relates to the member and does not compromise classified information or an accident investigation board's work.
(g) The general public, to help the Armed Forces recruiting program or enhance public understanding of the Armed Forces, when SAF/PA determines that VI materials or services promote the Air Force's best interest.
(h) Incidental or occasional requests for VI records center materials or services, including requests from residents of foreign countries, when fees would be inappropriate. AFI 16-101, International Affairs and Security Assistance Management, tells how a foreign government may obtain Air Force VI materials.
(i) Legitimate news organizations working on news productions, documentaries, or print products that inform the public on Air Force activities.
(a) You may request unclassified and classified copies of current Air Force productions and loans of DoD and other Federal productions from JVISDA, ATTN: ASQV-JVIA-T-AS, Bldg. 3, Bay 3, 11 Hap Arnold Blvd., Tobyhanna, PA 18466-5102.
(1) For unclassified products, use your organization's letterhead, identify subject title, PIN, format, and quantity.
(2) For classified products, use your organization's letterhead, identify subject title, personal identification number (PIN), format, and quantity. Also, indicate that either your organization commander or security officer, and MAJCOM VI manager approve the need.
(b) You may request other VI materials, such as, still images and motion media stock footage, from DVIC/OM-PA, 1363 Z Street, Building 2730, March ARB, CA 92518-2703.
(a) The DoD records centers usually collect fees in advance. Exceptions are sales where you cannot determine actual cost until work is completed (for example, television and motion picture services with per minute or per footage charges).
(b) Customers pay fees, per AFR 177-108, Paying and Collecting Transactions at Base Level, with cash, treasury check, certified check, cashier's check, bank draft, or postal money order.
(a) AF Form 833, Visual Information Request, AF Form 1340, Visual Information Support Center Workload Report, DD Form 1995, Visual Information (VI) Production Request and Report, DD Form 2054-1, Visual Information (VI) Annual Report, and DD Form 2537, Visual Information Caption Sheet are prescribed by this part.
(b) Air Force publications and forms referenced in this part are available from NTIS, 5285 Port Royal Road, Springfield, VA 22161 or online at http://www.afpubs.hq.af.mil. DoD publications are available at http://www.defenselink.mil/pubs.
Janet A. Long,
Air Force Federal Register Liaison Officer.
[FR Doc. 00-27021 Filed 10-27-00; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-05-P