Surface Transportation Board.
Notice tentatively approving finance transaction.
Stagecoach Holdings PLC (Stagecoach) and its subsidiary, Coach USA, Inc. (Coach), noncarriers, and various subsidiaries of each (collectively, applicants), filed an application under 49 U.S.C. 14303 to acquire control of Travel Impressions LLC (Travel Impressions) d/b/a Nevada Charter, a motor passenger carrier based in Las Vegas, NV. Persons wishing to oppose this application must follow the rules under 49 CFR part 1182.5 and 1182.8. The Board has tentatively approved the transaction, and, if no opposing comments are timely filed, this notice will be the final Board action.
Comments must be filed by March 26, 2001. Applicants may file a reply by April 9, 2001. If no comments are filed by March 26, 2001, this notice is effective on that date.
Send an original and 10 copies of any comments referring to STB Docket No. MC-F-20977 to: Surface Transportation Board, Office of the Secretary, Case Control Unit, 1925 K Street, NW., Washington, DC 20423-0001. In addition, send one copy of any comments to applicants' representative: Betty Jo Christian, Steptoe & Johnson LLP, 1330 Connecticut Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20036-1795.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Joseph H. Dettmar (202) 565-1600. [TDD for the hearing impaired: 1-800-877-8339.]End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Stagecoach is a public limited corporation organized under the laws of Scotland. With operations in several countries, Stagecoach is one of the world's largest providers of passenger transportation services. Stagecoach had annual revenues of $3.29 billion for the fiscal year ending April 30, 2000. Coach is a Delaware corporation that currently controls over 90 motor passenger carriers.
Stagecoach and its subsidiaries currently control Coach, its noncarrier regional management subsidiaries, and the motor passenger carriers jointly controlled by Coach and the management subsidiaries. In previous Board decisions, Coach management subsidiaries, including Coach USA West, Inc., have obtained authority to control motor passenger carriers jointly with Coach.
Applicants state that Coach acquired Travel Impressions in a September 12, 2000 transaction in which it acquired all of the outstanding stock of Travel Impressions. Simultaneously with that acquisition, Coach placed the stock of Travel Impressions into an independent voting trust. The control transaction that is the subject of this application will not involve any further transfer of the federal operating authority held by Travel Impressions and will not entail any change in its operations. Travel Impressions will also be jointly controlled by Coach USA West, Inc.
Applicants have submitted information, as required by 49 CFR 1182.2(a)(7), to demonstrate that the proposed acquisition of control is consistent with the public interest under 49 U.S.C. 14303(b). Applicants state that the proposed transaction will not reduce competitive options, adversely impact fixed charges, or adversely impact the interests of the employees of Travel Impressions. Applicants assert that granting the application will allow Travel Impressions to take advantage of economies of scale and substantial benefits offered by applicants, including interest cost savings and reduced operating costs. In addition, applicants have submitted all of the other statements and certifications required by 49 CFR 1182.2. Additional information, including a copy of the application, may be obtained from the applicants' representatives. Start Printed Page 9628
Under 49 U.S.C. 14303(b), we must approve and authorize a transaction we find consistent with the public interest, taking into consideration at least: (1) The effect of the transaction on the adequacy of transportation to the public; (2) the total fixed charges that result; and (3) the interest of affected carrier employees.
On the basis of the application, we find that the proposed acquisition of control is consistent with the public interest and should be authorized. If any opposing comments are timely filed, this finding will be deemed vacated and, unless a final decision can be made on the record as developed, a procedural schedule will be adopted to reconsider the application. See 49 CFR 1182.6(c). If no opposing comments are filed by the expiration of the comment period, this decision will take effect automatically and will be the final Board action.
Board decisions and notices are available on our website at “WWW.STB.DOT.GOV.
This decision will not significantly affect either the quality of the human environment or the conservation of energy resources.
It is ordered:
1. The proposed acquisition of control is approved and authorized, subject to the filing of opposing comments.
2. If timely opposing comments are filed, the findings made in this decision will be deemed as having been vacated.
3. This decision will be effective on March 26, 2001, unless timely opposing comments are filed.
4. A copy of this notice will be served on: (1) The U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration—MC-RI, 400 Virginia Avenue, SW., Suite 600, Washington, DC 20024; (2) the U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, 10th Street Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20530; and (3) the U.S. Department of Transportation, Office of the General Counsel, 400 7th Street, S.W., Washington, DC 20590.Start Signature
Decided: February 1, 2001.
By the Board, Chairman Morgan, Vice Chairman Clyburn, and Commissioner Burkes.
Vernon A. Williams,
1. Stagecoach controls Coach through various subsidiaries, namely, SUS 1 Limited, SUS 2 Limited, Stagecoach General Partnership, and SCH US Holdings Corp.Back to Citation
2. See Stagecoach Holdings PLC-Control-Coach USA, Inc., et al., STB Docket No. MC-F-20948 (STB served July 22, 1999).Back to Citation
3. See Coach USA, Inc. and Coach USA North Central, Inc.-Control-Nine Motor Carriers of Passengers, STB Docket No. MC-F-20931, et al. (STB served July 14, 1999).Back to Citation
4. Travel Impressions is a Nevada corporation headquartered in Las Vegas, NV. It holds federally-issued operating authority in Docket No. MC-340826, authorizing it to provide charter and special services between points in the United States. Travel Impressions also holds intrastate operating authority issued by the Transportation Service Authority of Nevada. The carrier operates 53 buses, employs 114 persons, and earned gross revenues of approximately $9.2 million during the 12-month period ended September 30, 2000. It provides charter and airport services in the Las Vegas area and between Las Vegas and points in nearby states. Prior to the transfer of its stock into a voting trust, the carrier was owned by two individuals, Philip Oldridge and Maria C. Armstrong.Back to Citation
[FR Doc. 01-3196 Filed 2-7-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4915-00-P