Notice of information collection under review; application to register permanent residence or adjust status, and supplement A to form I-485.
The Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for sixty days until May 29,2001.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and Supplement A to Form I-485.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form I-485. Form I-485 Supplement A. Adjudications Division, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief Start Printed Page 17441abstract: Primary: Individuals or households. This information will be used to request and determine eligibility for adjustment of permanent residence status. This application allows an applicant to determine whether he or she must file under section 245 or 249 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: I-485 Adult respondents is 314,793 at 5.25 hours per response; I-485 Children respondents at 247,289 at 4.5 hours per response; Supplement A respondents is 73,418 at 13 minutes (.216 hours) per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: Form I-485 and Supplement A to Form I-485 annual burden hours are 2,781,321.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan 202-514-3291, Director, Policy Directives and Instructions Branch, Immigration and Naturalization Service, U.S. Department of Justice, Room 4304, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comment and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, 1331 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW., Suite 1220, National Place Building, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: March 26, 2001.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
[FR Doc. 01-7913 Filed 3-29-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M