Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
In accordance with section 6(f)(1) of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), as amended, EPA is issuing a notice of receipt of request by Cheminova AGRO A/S, FMC Corporation and Micro-Flo Corporation to cancel the registrations for all of their products containing O,O,O,O-tetaethyl S,S-methylene bis(phosphorodithioate) (ethion). EPA will decide whether to approve the request after consideration of public comment.
Comments on the requested cancellation of product and use registrations must be submitted to the address provided below by October 26, 2001.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Richard Dumas, Special Review and Reregistration Division (7508C), Office of Pesticide Programs, Environmental Protection Agency, 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW., Washington, DC 20460; telephone number: (703) 308-8015; fax number: (703) 308-8041; e-mail address: email@example.com.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
I. General Information
A. Does this Action Apply to Me?
This action is directed to the public in general. Although this action may be of particular interest to persons who produce or use pesticides, the Agency has not attempted to describe all the specific entities that may be affected by this action. If you have any questions regarding the information in this notice, consult the person listed under FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.
B. How Can I Get Additional Information, Including Copies of this Document and Other Related Documents?
1. Electronically. You may obtain electronic copies of this document, and certain other related documents that might be available electronically, from the EPA Internet Home Page at http://www.epa.gov/. To access this document, on the Home Page select “Laws and Regulations” and then look up the entry for this document under the “Federal Register—Environmental Documents.” You can also go directly to the Federal Register listings at http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/.
2. In person. The Agency has established an official record for this action under docket control number OPP-00742. The official record consists of the documents specifically referenced in this action, any public comments received during an applicable comment period, and other information related to this action, including any information claimed as Confidential Business Information (CBI). This official record includes the documents that are physically located in the docket, as well as the documents that are referenced in those documents. The public version of the official record does not include any information claimed as CBI. The public version of the official record, which includes printed, paper versions of any electronic comments submitted during an applicable comment period, is available for inspection in the Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Rm. 119, Crystal Mall #2, 1921 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Arlington, VA, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays. The PIRIB telephone number is (703) 305-5805.
C. How and to Whom Do I Submit Comments?
You may submit comments through the mail, in person, or electronically. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, it is imperative that you identify docket control number OPP-00742 in the subject line on the first page of your response.
1. By mail. Submit your comments to: Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Information Resources and Services Division (7502C), Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP), Environmental Protection Agency, 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW., Washington, DC 20460.
2. In person or by courier. Deliver your comments to: Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Information Resources and Services Division (7502C), Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP), Environmental Protection Agency, Rm. 119, Crystal Mall #2, 1921 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Arlington, VA. The PIRIB is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays. The PIRIB telephone number is (703) 305-5805.
3. Electronically. You may submit your comments electronically by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can submit a computer disk as described above. Do not submit any information electronically that you consider to be CBI. Avoid the use of special characters and any form of encryption. Electronic submissions will be accepted in WordPerfect 6.1/8.0 or ASCII file format. All comments in electronic form must be identified by docket control number OPP-00742. Electronic comments may also be filed online at many Federal Depository Libraries.
D. How Should I Handle CBI that I Want to Submit to the Agency?
Do not submit any information electronically that you consider to be CBI. You may claim information that you submit to EPA in response to this document as CBI by marking any part or all of that information as CBI. Information so marked will not be disclosed except in accordance with procedures set forth in 40 CFR part 2. In addition to one complete version of the comment that includes any information claimed as CBI, a copy of the comment that does not contain the information claimed as CBI must be submitted for inclusion in the public version of the official record. Information not marked confidential will be included in the public version of the official record without prior notice. If you have any questions about CBI or the procedures for claiming CBI, please consult the person listed under FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.
E. What Should I Consider as I Prepare My Comments for EPA?
You may find the following suggestions helpful for preparing your comments:
1. Explain your views as clearly as possible.
2. Describe any assumptions that you used.
3. Provide copies of any technical information and/or data you used that support your views.
4. If you estimate potential burden or costs, explain how you arrived at the estimate that you provide.
5. Provide specific examples to illustrate your concerns.Start Printed Page 49239
6. Offer alternative ways to improve the notice or collection activity.
7. Make sure to submit your comments by the deadline in this notice.
8. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, be sure to identify the docket control number assigned to this action in the subject line on the first page of your response. You may also provide the name, date, and Federal Register citation.
II. What Action is the Agency Taking
This notice announces receipt by EPA of requests from Cheminova A/S, FMC Corporation, and Micro-Flo Corporation to cancel five pesticide products registered under section 3 of FIFRA. These registrations are listed in Table 1.
A. Background Information
Ethion is an organophosphate insecticide registered for use on citrus in Florida and Texas, and cattle in eartags.
On August 24, August 29, and August 31, 2001, Micro-Flo Corporation, FMC Corporation, and Cheminova A/S, respectively, signed a Memorandum of Agreement with EPA requesting voluntary cancellation pursuant of 6(f) of FIFRA of all their registrations for products containing ethion. The effective cancellation dates are intended to be no earlier than October 1, 2003, for manufacturing use products and December 31, 2003, for end-use products.
B. Requests for Voluntary Cancellation
Under section 6(f)(1)(A) of FIFRA, registrants may request, at any time, that their pesticide registrations be canceled or amended to terminate one or more pesticide uses. Section 6(f)(1)(B) of FIFRA requires that before acting on a request for voluntary cancellation, EPA must provide a 30-day public comment period on the request for voluntary cancellation. In addition, section 6(f)(1)(C) of FIFRA requires that EPA provide a 180-day comment period on a request for voluntary termination of any minor agricultural use before granting the request, unless: (1) The registrants request a waiver of the comment period, or (2) the Administrator determines that continued use of the pesticide would pose an unreasonable adverse effect on the environment. The registrant has requested that EPA waive the 180-day comment period. EPA is granting the registrants' request to waive the 180-day comment period. EPA anticipates granting the cancellation request shortly after considering the comments recieved during the 30-day comment period for this notice. The registrations for which cancellations were requested are identified in Table 1.
|Cheminova A/S||4787-10||Cheminova Ethion Technical|
|FMC Corporation||279-2280||Ethion Technical Insecticide|
|279-1254||Ethion 4 Miscible|
|Micro-Flo Corporation||51036-89||Ethion 4 EC|
|51036-90||Ethion 8 EC|
III. What is the Agency's Authority for Taking this Action?
Section 6(f)(1) of FIFRA provides that a registrant of a pesticide product may at any time request that any of its pesticide registrations be canceled. FIFRA section 6(f)(1) further provides that, before acting on the request, EPA must publish a notice of receipt of any such request in the Federal Register, make reasonable efforts to inform persons who rely on the pesticide for minor agricultural uses, and provide a 30-day period in which the public may comment. Thereafter, the Administrator may approve such a request.
IV. Procedures for Withdrawal of Request
Registrants who choose to withdraw a request for cancellation must submit such withdrawal in writing to the person listed under FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT. This written withdrawal of the request for cancellation will apply only to the applicable FIFRA section 6(f)(1) request listed in this notice. A withdrawal shall have no effect on any cancellation that has already been ordered; the effective date of such cancellation and all other provisions of any earlier cancellation action shall remain in effect. The withdrawal request must also include a commitment to pay any reregistration fees due, and to fulfill any applicable unsatisfied data requirements.
V. Provisions for Disposition of Existing Stocks
The Agency intends to prohibit the sale and distribution of existing stocks of ethion manufacturing products on October 1, 2003, and to prohibit the use of manufacturing use products on December 31, 2003. The Agency intends to prohibit the sale and distribution of end-use product on October 1, 2004, and to prohibit the use of end-use product on December 31, 2004. This is in accordance with the Agency's statement of policy as prescribed in the Federal Register of June 26, 1991 (56 FR 29362) (FRL-3846-4). Exceptions will be made if EPA determines that a product poses a risk concern, or is in noncompliance with reregistration requirements, or is subject to a Data Call-In. In all cases, product-specific disposition dates will be given in the cancellation orders.
Existing stocks are those stocks of registered pesticide products which are currently in the United States and which have been packaged, labeled, and released for shipment prior to the effective date of the cancellation action. Unless the provisions of an earlier order apply, existing stocks already in the hands of dealers or users can be distributed, sold, or used legally until they are exhausted, provided that such further sale and use comply with the EPA-approved label and labeling of the affected product. Exception to these general rules will be made in specific cases when more stringent restrictions on sale, distribution, or use of the products or their ingredients have already been imposed, as in a Special Review action, or where the Agency has identified significant potential risk concerns associated with a particular chemical.
VI. Future Tolerance Revocations
EPA anticipates drafting a future Federal Register notice proposing revocation of tolerances on commodities on which there has been no registered uses of ethion. With this present proposal, EPA seeks comment as to whether any individuals or groups want to support continuation of these tolerances.Start List of Subjects
List of SubjectsEnd List of Subjects Start Signature
Dated: September 17, 2001.
Lois A. Rossi,
Director, Special Review and Reregistration Division, Office of Pesticide Programs.
[FR Doc. 01-24060 Filed 9-25-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 6560-50-S