Notice of Information Collection Under Review; Supplement A to Form I-539 (Filing Instructions for V Nonimmigrant Status).
The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval is being sought for the information collection listed below. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register on April 2, 2000 at 66 FR 17576, allowing for emergency OMB review and approval. The notice also allowed for a 60-day public review and comment period. No comments were received by the Immigration and Naturalization Service during that period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comments. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until October 29, 2001. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Department of Justice Desk Officer, 725—17th Street, NW., Suite 10102, Washington, DC 20503. Additionally, comments may be submitted to OMB via facsimile to 202-395-7285. Comments may also be submitted to the Department of Justice (DOJ), Justice Management Division, Information Management and Security Staff, Attention: Robert Briggs, Department Clearance Officer, Patrick Henry Building, 601 D Street, NW., Suite 1600, Washington, DC 20004. Comments may also be submitted DOJ via facsimile to 202-514-1534.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of currently approved information collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Supplement A to Form I-539 (Filing Instructions for V Nonimmigrant Status Applicants).
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form I-539 Supplement A. Adjudications Division, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or Households. This form is used by nonimmigrants to apply for extension of stay or change of nonimmigrant status or for obtaining V nonimmigrant classification. The INS will use the date on this form to determine eligibility for the requested benefit.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 427,000 responses at 30 minutes (.50) per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 213,500 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or Start Printed Page 49398additional information, please contact Mr. Richard A. Sloan, 202-514-3291, Director, Policy Directives and Instructions Branch, Immigration and Naturalization Service, U.S. Department of Justice, Room 4034, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536.Start Signature
Dated: September 20, 2001.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
[FR Doc. 01-24128 Filed 9-26-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M