Notice of information collection under review; Application for certificate of citizenship in behalf of an adopted child.
The Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service has submitted the following collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to Start Printed Page 52457obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for sixty days until December 14, 2001.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submissions of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Application for Certificate of Citizenship in Behalf of an Adopted Child.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form N-643. Adjudications Division, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or households. This information collection allows United States citizen parents to apply for a certificate of citizenship on behalf of their adopted alien children.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 11,159 responses at 1 hour per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 11,159 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan 202-514-3291, Director, Policy Directives and Instructions Branch, Immigration and Naturalization Service, U.S. Department of Justice, Room 4034, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A Sloan.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, 601 D. Street, NW., Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: October 9, 2001.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service.
[FR Doc. 01-25856 Filed 10-12-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M