Notice of Information Collection Under Review; (Extension of a currently approved collection; comment request).
The National Judicial Reporting Program, Form NJRP-1
The Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS), has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. This proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until December 26, 2001.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Matthew Durose, 202-307-6119, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice, 810 7th Street, NW., Washington, DC 20531.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the function of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information
(1) Type of information collection: Extension of a currently approved collection; comment request.
(2) The title of the form/collection: National Judicial Reporting Program.
(3) The agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: The form number is NJRP-1, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Office of Justice Programs, United States Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract:
Primary: State Court authorities. The National Judicial Reporting Program (NJRP) is the only collection effort that provides an ability to maintain important statistics on felons convicted and sentenced in state courts. The NJRP enables the Bureau, Federal, State, and local correctional administrators; legislators; researchers; and planners to track change in the numbers and types of offenses and sentences felons convicted in state courts receive; as well as track changes in the demographics, conviction type, number of charges, sentence length, and time between arrest and conviction and sentencing of felons convicted in state courts.Start Printed Page 54288
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply: It is estimated that 344 respondents will take 8.1 hours per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The total annual burden hours are 2,788.
If additional information is required contact: Mrs. Brenda E. Dyer, Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 1600, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530, or via facsimile at (202) 514-1534.Start Signature
Dated: October 19, 2001.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Department Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 01-27037 Filed 10-25-01; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-18-M