U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
Notice of the OMB review of information collection and solicitation of public comment.
The NRC is preparing a submittal to OMB for review of continued approval of information collections under the provisions of Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C. chapter 35).
Information pertaining to the requirement to be submitted:
1. The title of the information collection: 10 CFR Part 32—Specific Domestic Licenses to Manufacture or Transfer Certain Items Containing Byproduct Material.
2. Current OMB approval number: 3150-0001.
3. How often the collection is required: There is a one-time submittal of information to receive a license. Renewal applications are submitted every 10 years. In addition, recordkeeping must be performed on an on-going basis, and reports of transfer of byproduct material must be reported every 10 years.
4. Who is required or asked to report: All specific licensees who manufacture or initially transfer items containing byproduct material for sale or distribution to general licensees or persons exempt from licensing.
5. The number of annual respondents: 194 NRC licensees and 491 Agreement State licensees.
6. The number of hours needed annually to complete the requirement or request: 151,644 (53,012 hours for NRC licensees [4,507 reporting + 48,505 hours recordkeeping]) or an average of 273 hours per licensee and (98,632 hours for Agreement State licensees [3,210 hours reporting + 95,422 hours recordkeeping]) or 201 hours per Agreement State licensee.
7. Abstract: 10 CFR part 32 establishes requirements for specific licenses for the introduction of byproduct material into products or materials and transfer of the products or materials to general licensees or persons exempt from licensing. It also prescribes requirements governing holders of the specific licenses. Some of the requirements are for information which must be submitted in an application for a specific license, records which must be kept, reports which must be submitted, and information which must be forwarded to general licensees and persons exempt from licensing. In addition, 10 CFR part 32 prescribes requirements for the issuance of certificates of registration (concerning radiation safety information about a product) to manufacturers or initial transferors of sealed sources and devices. Submission or retention of the information is mandatory for persons subject to the 10 CFR part 32 requirements. The information is used by NRC to make licensing and other regulatory determinations concerning the use of radioactive byproduct material in products and devices.
Submit, by June 10, 2002, comments that address the following questions:
1. Is the proposed collection of information necessary for the NRC to properly perform its functions? Does the information have practical utility?
2. Is the burden estimate accurate?
3. Is there a way to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected?
4. How can the burden of the information collection be minimized, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology?
A copy of the draft supporting statement may be viewed free of charge at the NRC Public Document Room located at One White Flint North, 11555 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD. OMB clearance requests are available at the NRC worldwide web site (http://www.nrc.gov/public-involve/doc-comment/omb/index.html). The document will be available on the NRC home page site for 60 days after the signature date of this notice.
Comments and questions about the information collection requirements may be directed to the NRC Clearance Officer, Brenda Jo. Shelton, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, T-6 E 6, Washington, DC 20555-0001, by telephone at (301) 415-7233, or by Internet electronic mail at INFOCOLLECTS@NRC.GOV.Start Signature
Dated at Rockville, Maryland, this 4th day of April, 2002.
For the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Brenda Jo. Shelton,
NRC Clearance Officer, Office of the Chief Information Officer.
[FR Doc. 02-8609 Filed 4-9-02; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7590-01-P