Notice of information under review: number of full-time law inforcement employees as of October 31.
The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until June 28, 2002.
Request written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information. Comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques of other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to Gregory E. Scarbro (phone number and address listed below). Additional information as well as copies of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions are available by contacting Gregory E. Scarbro, Unit Chief, telephone 304-625-4830, FBI, CJIS Division, Crime Statistics Management Unit, E-3, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, WV 26306.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of information collection: Reinstatement, without change, of a previously approved collection for which approval has expired.
(2) The title of the form/collection: Number of Full-Time Law Enforcement Employees as of October 31.
(3) The agency form number, if any, and applicable component of the department sponsoring the collection: Form: 1-711a/1-711b/1-711c. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Department of Justice (DOJ), and Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS).
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as brief abstract: Primary: Local and State Law Enforcement Agencies. This collection is needed to collect information to determine the number of Civilian and sworn full-time law enforcement employees throughout the United States. Data are tabulated and published in the annual Crime in the United States.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to reply: 16,825 agencies with 16,825 responses (including zero reports); and with an average of 8 minutes a year per responding agency devoted to compilation of data for this information collection.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with this collection: 2,243 hours annually.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Robert B. Briggs, Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 1600, Patrick Henry Building, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: April 23, 2002.
Robert B. Briggs,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 02-10375 Filed 4-26-02; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-02-M