Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Notice; Extension of comment period.
In the Federal Register of March 28, 2002, EPA published a document announcing the availability of and sought public comment on a draft Pesticide Registration (PR) Notice titled, “False or Misleading Pesticide Product Brand Names.” PR Notices are issued by the Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP) to inform pesticide registrants and other interested persons about important policies, procedures, and registration related decisions, and serve to provide guidance to pesticide registrants and OPP personnel. The draft PR Notice provides guidance to registrants, applicants, and the public as to what product brand names may be false or misleading, either by themselves or in association with company names or trademarks. In response to a request from stakeholders, EPA is extending the comment period for 60 days, until August 1, 2002.
Comments, identified by docket ID number OPP-2002-0084, must be received on or before August 1, 2002.
Comments may be submitted by mail, electronically, or in person. Please follow the detailed instructions for each method as provided in Unit I. of the SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, it is imperative that you identify docket ID number OPP-2002-0084 in the subject line on the first page of your response.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Jeff Kempter, Antimicrobials Division (7510C), Office of Pesticide Programs, Environmental Protection Agency, 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW., Washington, DC 20460; telephone number: (703) 305-5448; fax number: (703) 308-6467; e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
I. General Information
A. Does this Action Apply to Me?
This action is directed to the public in general although this action may be of particular interest to those persons who are required to register pesticides. Since other entities may also be interested, the Agency has not attempted to describe all the specific entities that may be affected by this action. If you have any questions regarding the information in this notice, consult the person listed under FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.
B. How Can I Get Additional Information, Including Copies of this Document and Other Related Documents?-
1. Electronically. You may obtain electronic copies of this document, and certain other related documents that might be available electronically, from the EPA Internet Home Page at http://www.epa.gov/. To access this document, on the Home Page select “Laws and Regulations,” “Regulations and Proposed Rules,” and then look up the entry for this document under the “Federal Register—Environmental Documents.” You can also go directly to the Federal Register listings at http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/.-
You may obtain an electronic copy of all PR Notices, both final and draft, at http://www.epa.gov/opppmsd1/PR_Notices.
2. Fax-on-demand. You may request a faxed copy of the draft PR Notice titled, “False or Misleading Pesticide Product Brand Names,” by using a faxphone to call (202) 564-3119 and selecting item 6146. You may also follow the automated menu. -
3. In person. The Agency has established an official record for this action under docket ID number OPP-2002-0084. The official record consists of the documents specifically referenced in this action, any public comments received during an applicable comment period, and other information related to this action, including any information claimed as Confidential Business Information (CBI). This official record includes the documents that are physically located in the docket, as well as the documents that are referenced in those documents. The public version of the official record does not include any information claimed as CBI. The public version of the official record, which includes printed, paper versions of any electronic comments submitted during an applicable comment period, is available for inspection in the Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Rm. 119, Crystal Mall #2, 1921 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Arlington, VA, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays. The PIRIB telephone number is (703) 305-5805.
C. How and to Whom Do I Submit Comments?
You may submit comments through the mail, in person, or electronically. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, it is imperative that you identify docket ID number OPP-2002-0084 in the subject line on the first page of your response. -
1. By mail. Submit your comments to: Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Information Resources and Services Division (7502C), Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP), Environmental Protection Agency, 1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW., Washington, DC 20460.-
2. In person or by courier. Deliver your comments to: Public Information and Records Integrity Branch (PIRIB), Information Resources and Services Division (7502C), Office of Pesticide Programs (OPP), Environmental Protection Agency, Rm. 119, Crystal Mall #2, 1921 Jefferson Davis Hwy., Arlington, VA. The PIRIB is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Start Printed Page 36596Friday, excluding legal holidays. The PIRIB telephone number is (703) 305-5805.-
3. Electronically. You may submit your comments electronically by e-mail to: email@example.com, or you can submit a computer disk as described above. Do not submit any information electronically that you consider to be CBI. Avoid the use of special characters and any form of encryption. Electronic submissions will be accepted in WordPerfect 6.1/8.0 or ASCII file format. All comments in electronic form must be identified by docket ID number OPP-2002-0084. Electronic comments may also be filed online at many Federal Depository Libraries.
D. How Should I Handle CBI That I Want to Submit to the Agency?-
Do not submit any information electronically that you consider to be CBI. You may claim information that you submit to EPA in response to this document as CBI by marking any part or all of that information as CBI. Information so marked will not be disclosed except in accordance with procedures set forth in 40 CFR part 2. In addition to one complete version of the comment that includes any information claimed as CBI, a copy of the comment that does not contain the information claimed as CBI must be submitted for inclusion in the public version of the official record. Information not marked confidential will be included in the public version of the official record without prior notice. If you have any questions about CBI or the procedures for claiming CBI, please consult the person listed under FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT.
E. What Should I Consider as I Prepare My Comments for EPA?-
You may find the following suggestions helpful for preparing your comments:-
1. Explain your views as clearly as possible.
2. Describe any assumptions that you used.-
3. Provide copies of any technical information and/or data you used that support your views.-
4. If you estimate potential burden or costs, explain how you arrived at the estimate that you provide.-
5. Provide specific examples to illustrate your concerns.-
6. Offer alternative ways to improve the notice.
7. Make sure to submit your comments by the deadline in this notice.-
8. To ensure proper receipt by EPA, be sure to identify the docket ID number assigned to this action in the subject line on the first page of your response. You may also provide the name, date, and Federal Register citation.
II. What Action is EPA Taking?
In the Federal Register of March 28, 2002 (67 FR 14941) (FRL-6809-9), EPA announced the availability of a draft PR Notice titled, “Pesticides; Draft Guidance for Pesticide Registrants on False or Misleading Pesticide Product Brand Names.” The Agency provided a 60-day comment period, which was scheduled to end May 28, 2002. EPA is extending the comment period for the draft PR Notice for an additional 60 days, until August 1, 2002.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects-
- Environmental protection
- Administrative practice and procedure
- Agricultural commodities
- Pesticides and pests
Dated: May 20, 2002.
Marcia E. Mulkey,
Director, Office of Pesticide Programs.
[FR Doc. 02-13109 Filed 5-23-02; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 6560-50-S