Coast Guard, DOT.
Notice of implementation.
The Coast Guard is implementing safety zones for annual fireworks displays in the Captain of the Port Detroit Zone during June 2002. This action is necessary to provide for the safety of life and property on navigable waters during these events. These zones will restrict vessel traffic from a portion of the Captain of the Port Detroit Zone.
Effective from 12:01 a.m.(Eastern Time) on June 1, 2002 to 11:59 p.m.(Eastern Time) on June 30, 2002.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Lieutenant Junior Grade Brandon Sullivan, U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Office Detroit, MI at (313) 568-9580.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The Coast Guard is implementing the permanent Start Printed Page 36523safety zones in 33 CFR 165.907 (66 FR 27868, May 21, 2001), for fireworks displays in the Captain of the Port Detroit Zone during June 2002. The following safety zones are in effect for fireworks displays occurring in the month of June 2002:
(1) Bay-Rama Fishfly Festival, New Baltimore, MI. Location: All waters off New Baltimore City Park, Lake St. Clair-Anchor Bay bounded by the arc of a circle with a 300-yard radius with its center located at approximate position 42°41′ N, 082°44′ W, on June 26, 2002, from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m.
(2) St. Clair Shores Fireworks, St. Clair Shores, MI. Location: All waters of Lake St. Clair within a 300-yard radius of the fireworks barge in approximate position 42°32′ N, 082°51′ W, about 1000-yards east of Veterans Memorial Park (off Masonic Rd.), St. Clair Shores, MI on June 28, 2002, from 10 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
(3) Port Huron 4th of July Fireworks, Port Huron, MI. Location: All waters of the Black River within a 300-yard radius of the fireworks barge in approximate position 42°58′ N, 082°25′ W about 300-yards east of 223 Huron Ave., in the Black River on June 30, 2002, from 10 p.m. until 11 p.m.
(4) Grosse Pointe Farms Fireworks, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI. Location: All waters of Lake St. Clair within a 300-yard radius of the fireworks barge in approximate position 42°23′ N, 082°52′ W, about 300-yards east of Grosse Pointe Farms on June 29, 2002 from 9:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
(5) Sigma Gamma Assoc., Grosse Pointe Farms, MI. Location: The waters off Ford's Cove, Lake St. Clair bounded by the arc of a circle with a 300-yard radius with its center in approximate position 42°27′ N, 082°52′ W on June 24, 2002 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
In order to ensure the safety of spectators and transiting vessels, these safety zones will be in effect for the duration of the events. In cases where shipping is affected, commercial vessels may request permission from the Captain of the Port Detroit to transit the safety zone. Approval will be made on a case-by case basis. Requests must be made in advance and approved by the Captain of Port before transits will be authorized. The Captain of the Port may be contacted via U.S. Coast Guard Group Detroit on channel 16, VHF-FM.Start Signature
Dated: May 16, 2002.
Commander, U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port Detroit.
[FR Doc. 02-13136 Filed 5-23-02; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4910-15-P