60-day notice of information collection under review: Extension of a currently approved collection. Application for individual manufacturing quota for a basic class of controlled substances.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until February 4, 2003. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments, especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Patricia M. Good, Chief, Liaison and Policy Section, Office of Diversion Control, Drug Enforcement Administration, Washington, DC 20537, (202) 307-7297.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Application for Individual Manufacturing Quota for a Basic Class of Controlled Substances.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: DEA Form 189. Office of Diversion Control, Drug Enforcement Administration, U.S. Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Start Printed Page 72702
Primary: Business or other for-profit.
Abstract: Title 21, United States Code, section 826, and Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 1303.22 require that any person who is registered to manufacture any basic class of controlled substances listed in Schedule I or II and who desires to manufacture a quantity of such class must apply on DEA Form 189 for a manufacturing quota for such quantity of such class.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: There are an estimated 264 responses, provided by 44 respondents. The estimated time required for the average respondent to respond is 30 minutes.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are 132 annual burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Robert B. Briggs, Department Clearance Officer, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, United States Department of Justice, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: December 2, 2002.
Robert B. Briggs,
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 02-30877 Filed 12-5-02; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-09-M