National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity, Department of Education (The Advisory Committee).
What Is the Purpose of This Notice?
The purpose of this notice is to invite written comments on accrediting agencies and State approval agencies whose applications to the Secretary for initial or renewed recognition or whose interim reports will be reviewed at the Advisory Committee meeting to be held on June 9-10, 2003.
Where Should I Submit My Comments?
Please submit your written comments by March 24, 2003 to Carol Griffiths, Chief, Accrediting Agency Evaluation, Accreditation and State Liaison. You may contact her at the U.S. Department of Education, room 7105, MS 8509, 1990 K Street, NW., Washington, DC 20006, telephone: (202) 219-7011. Individuals who use a telecommunications device for the deaf (TDD) may call the Federal Information Relay Service at 1-800-877-8339.
What is the Authority for the Advisory Committee?
The National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity is established under section 114 of the Higher Education Act (HEA), as amended, 20 U.S.C. 1011c. One of the purposes of the Advisory Committee is to advise the Secretary of Education on the recognition of accrediting agencies and State approval agencies.
Will This Be My Only Opportunity to Submit Written Comments?
Yes, this notice announces the only opportunity you will have to submit written comments. However, a subsequent Federal Register notice will announce the meeting and invite individuals and/or groups to submit requests to make oral presentations before the Advisory Committee on the agencies that the Committee will review. That notice, however, does not offer a second opportunity to submit written comment.
What Happens to the Comments That I Submit?
We will review your comments, in response to this notice, as part of our evaluation of the agencies' compliance with the Secretary's Criteria for Recognition of Accrediting Agencies and State Approval Agencies. The Criteria are regulations found in 34 CFR part 602 (for accrediting agencies) and in 34 CFR part 603 (for State approval agencies) and are found at the following site: http://www.ed.gov/offices/OPE/accreditation/index.html. We will also include your comments with the staff analyses we present to the Advisory Committee at its June 2003 meeting. Therefore, in order for us to give full consideration to your comments, it is important that we receive them by March 24, 2003. In all instances, your comments about agencies seeking initial or continued recognition must relate to the Criteria for Recognition. In addition, your comments for any agency whose interim report is scheduled for review must relate to the issues raised and the Criteria for Recognition cited in the Secretary's letter that requested the interim report.
What Happens to Comments Received After the Deadline?
We will review any comments received after the deadline. If such comments, upon investigation, reveal that the accrediting agency is not acting in accordance with the Criteria for Recognition, we will take action either before or after the meeting, as appropriate.
What Agencies Will the Advisory Committee Review at the Meeting?
The Secretary of Education recognizes accrediting agencies and State approval agencies for public postsecondary vocational education and nurse education if the Secretary determines that they meet the Criteria for Recognition. Recognition means that the Secretary considers the agency to be a reliable authority as to the quality of education offered by institutions or programs that are encompassed within the scope of recognition he grants to the agency. The following agencies will be reviewed during the June 2003 meeting of the Advisory Committee:
Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agencies
Petition for Initial Recognition
1. Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (Requested scope of recognition: The accreditation of postsecondary English language programs and institutions in the United States).
2. Council on Naturopathic Medical Education (Requested scope of recognition: The accreditation and pre-accreditation throughout the United States of graduate-level, four-year Start Printed Page 6128naturopathic medical educational programs leading to the Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine (N.D. or N.M.D.) or Doctor of Naturopathy (N.D.) degree.
3. Teacher Education Accreditation Council (Requested scope of recognition: The accreditation throughout the United States of professional education programs in institutions offering baccalaureate and graduate degrees for the preparation of teachers K-12)
Petitions for Renewal of Recognition
1. Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (Current scope of recognition: The accreditation of Montessori teacher education institutions and programs throughout the United States evaluated by the following review committees: the American Montessori Society Review Committee and the Independent Review Committee only.)
2. Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Schools (Current scope of recognition: the accreditation and preaccreditation (“Candidate for Accreditation”) of adult and postsecondary schools that offer programs below the degree level in California, Hawaii, the United States territories of Guam and American Samoa, the Republic of Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Republic of the Marshall Islands.)
Interim Reports (An interim report is a follow-up report on an accrediting agency's compliance with specific criteria for recognition that was requested by the Secretary when the Secretary granted renewed recognition to the agency.)
1. Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges, Commission on Accreditation
2. American Academy for Liberal Education
3. Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc., Accreditation Commission
4. American Physical Therapy Association, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education
5. American Veterinary Medical Association, Council on Education
6. Distance Education and Training Council, Accrediting Commission
7. National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission Progress Report: A report on the agency's implementation of its new accreditation process.
1. Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities.
State Agencies Recognized for the Approval of Public Postsecondary Vocational Education
Petition for Renewal of Recognition
1. Missouri State Board of Education
State Agencies Recognized for the Approval of Nurse Education
Petition for Renewal of Recognition
1. Missouri State Board of Nursing
Where Can I Inspect Petitions and Third-Party Comments Before and After the Meeting?
All petitions and those third-party comments received in advance of the meeting, will be available for public inspection and copying at the U.S. Department of Education, room 7105, MS 8509, 1990 K Street, NW., Washington, DC 20006, telephone (202) 219-7011 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday, until May 16, 2003. They will be available again after the June 9-10 Advisory Committee meeting. An appointment must be made in advance of such inspection or copying.
How May I Obtain Electronic Access to This Document?
You may view this document, as well as all other Department of Education documents published in the Federal Register, in text or Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) on the Internet at the following site: http://www.ed.gov/legislation/FedRegister.
To use PDF you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is available free at this site. If you have questions about using PDF, call the U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO), toll free, at 1-888-293-6498; or in the Washington, DC, area at (202) 512-1530.
The official version of this document is the document published in the Federal Register. Free Internet access to the official edition of the Federal Register and the Code of Federal Regulations is available on GPO Access at: http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/index.html.Start Signature
Dated: January 31, 2003.
Sally L. Stroup,
Assistant Secretary for Postsecondary Education.
[FR Doc. 03-2834 Filed 2-5-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4000-01-U