30-Day notice of information collection under review: Checklist for on-site review of schools; OMB-35.
The Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The information collection was previously approved by OMB under emergency review proceedings on September 13, 2002 and the agency was granted temporary approval.
The BCIS intends to request an extension of this information collection. Therefore, the purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comments. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until May 2, 2003. Start Printed Page 16065This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Department of Homeland Security Desk Officer, 725 17th Street, NW., Room 10235, Washington, DC 20530.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved information collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Checklist for On-Site Review of Schools.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: No Agency Form Number; File No. OMB-35, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or Households. The data is used by the agency when conducting on-site visits at schools that submitted certification applications in SEVIS after the preliminary enrollment period.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 10,000 responses at 65 (1.083) minutes per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 10,830 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan, 202-514-3291, Director, Regulations and Forms Services Division, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security, Room 4304, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.Start Signature
Dated: March 27, 2003.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.
[FR Doc. 03-7893 Filed 4-1-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M