60-day notice of information collection under review: Extension of a currently approved collection; Bulletproof Vest Partnership.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of Justice Programs, has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until July 7, 2003. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Robert Watkins, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice, 810 Seventh Street NW., Washington, DC 20531.
Request written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of information collection: Extension of a currently approved.
(2) The title of the form/collection: Bulletproof Vest Partnership.
(3) The agency for number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: None. Bureau of Justice Assistance, Office of Justice Programs, United States Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: State, Local or Tribal governments, The Department's Office of Justice Programs has decided to extend the information collection 1121-0235 titled “Bulletproof Vest Partnership” (BVP). The Bulletproof Vest Partnership Grant Act of 1998 authorizes the Bureau of Justice Assistance to provide funds to Indian Tribes and State and Local governments to assist them with purchasing armor vests that meet the standard, established by the National Institute of Justice, for law enforcement officers as defined in the Act. This collection will provide funds to these eligible jurisdictions.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply: It is estimated that between 25,000 and 30,000 eligible units of general government may complete the Registration and Application for Funding forms that may take one hour during one Fiscal Year, and may complete any number of Requests for Payment forms that may take as much as one hour total per Fiscal Year to complete as armor vests Start Printed Page 24764are received accepted and Requests for Payment are made to the BVP.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The estimated range of annual public burden hours is 125,000 and 150,000.
If additional information is required contact: Brenda E. Dyer, Department Deputy Clearance Officer, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Department of Justice, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: April 30, 2003.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Department Deputy Clearance Officer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 03-11417 Filed 5-7-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-18-M