30-Day Notice of information collection under review: Revision of a currently approved collection; Hate Crime Incident Report and Quarterly Hate Crime Report.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with Start Printed Page 32547the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register Volume 68, Number 53, page 13324 on March 19, 2003, allowing for a 60-day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public comment until June 30, 2003. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to The Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention Department of Justice Desk Officer, Washington, DC 20503, or facsimile (202) 395-5806.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Types of information collection: Revision of a currently approved collection.
(2) The title of the form/collection: Hate Crime Incident Report and Quarterly Hate Crime Report.
(3) The agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the department sponsoring the collection: Forms 1-699 and 1-700; Criminal Justice Information Services Division, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Local and State Law Enforcement Agencies. These reports will gather information necessary to monitor the bias motivation of selected criminal offense. The resulting data are published annually.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: There are approximately 16,971 law enforcement agency respondents at 0.167 (10 minutes) hours per report.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with both collections: There are approximately 11,882 hours annual burden associated with this information collection.
If additional information is required contact: Mrs. Brenda E. Dyer, Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Information Management and Security Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 1600, Patrick Henry Building, 601 D Street NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: May 23, 2003.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 03-13531 Filed 5-29-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-02-M