30-Day Notice of Information Collection under Review: Employment Eligibility Verification; Form I-9.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. A notice containing this information collection was previously published in the Federal Register on July 28, 2002, at 68 FR 44347. The notice allowed for a 60-day public review and comment period. No comments were received by the CIS on this proposed information collection.
The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comments. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until January 2, 2004. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this Start Printed Page 67464notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Department of Justice Desk Officer, 725 17th Street, NW., Room 10235, Washington, DC 20530.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Employment Eligibility Verification.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: Form I-9. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or Households. This form was developed to facilitate compliance with Section 274A of the Immigration and Nationality Act (the Act), as amended by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA), which prohibits the knowing employment of unauthorized aliens. The information collected is used by employers or by recruiters for enforcement of provisions of immigration laws that are designed to control the employment of unauthorized aliens.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 78,000,000 respondents at 9 minutes or (.15) hours per response and 20,000,000 record keepers at 4 minutes or (.066) hours per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 13,020,000 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan (202)-514-3291, Director, Regulations and Forms Service Division, Department of Homeland Security, Room 4034, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.
If additional information is required contact: Mr. Steve Cooper, PRA Clearance Officer, Department of Homeland Security, Office of the Chief Information Officer, Regional Office building 3, 7th and D Streets, SW., Suite 4636-26, Washington, DC 20202.Start Signature
Dated: November 24, 2003.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Service.
[FR Doc. 03-29880 Filed 12-1-03; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M