60-day notice of information collection under review: Supplementary Homicide Report.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Bureau of Investigation, has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until March 9, 2004. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information should be directed to Gregory E. Scarbro, Unit Chief, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Criminal Justice Information Services Division, (CJIS), Module E-3, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306, or facsimile to (304) 625-3566.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Supplementary Homicide Report.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: 1-704. Federal Bureau of Investigation, Criminal Justice Information Services Division, Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: State and local law enforcement agencies. Other: none. This report will gather specific incident data related to murder and nonnegligent manslaughter offenses. The resulting data are published annually.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: There are approximately 17,324 law enforcement agency respondents at 9 minutes per report.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 31,183 total annual burden hours associated with this collection.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Brenda E. Dyer, Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: December 31, 2003.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Deputy Clearance Officer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 04-420 Filed 1-8-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-02-P