60-Day Emergency Notice of Information Collection Under Review: National Firearms Act (NFA)—Special Occupational Taxes (SOT).
The Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in accordance with emergency review procedures of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. OMB approval has been requested by March 31, 2004. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. If granted, the emergency approval is only valid for 180 days. Comments should be directed to OMB, Office of Information and Regulation Affairs, Attention: Department of Justice Desk Officer (202) 395-5806, Washington, DC 20503.
During the first 60 days of this same review period, a regular review of this information collection is also being undertaken. All comments and suggestions, or questions regarding additional information, to include obtaining a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, should be directed to Kathleen M. Downs, Assistant Financial Manager (Accounting), Financial Management Division, 650 Massachusetts Avenue, NW., Room 4450, Washington, DC 20226, facsimile, (202) 927-2787.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
- Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the Start Printed Page 13587functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
- Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
- Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information:
(1) Type of information collection: New collection.
(2) The title of the form/collection: National Firearms Act (NFA)—Special Occupational Taxes (SOT).
(3) The agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the department sponsoring the collection: Form Number: ATF F 5630.5R, ATF 5630.5RC, ATF F 5630.7. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. Other: None. ATF F 5630.7, Special Tax Registration and Return National Firearms Act (NFA) is completed and returned by businesses that are subject to Special Occupational Taxes under the National Firearms Act for either initial tax payment or business information changes. This form serves as both a return and a business registration. ATF F 5630.5R, 2005 NFA Special Tax Renewal Registration and Return and ATF F 5630.5RC, 2005 NFA Special Tax Location Registration Listing are preprinted forms sent to taxpayers who owe Special Occupational Taxes under the National Firearms Act. Taxpayers validate and correct the information and send the forms back with payment for the applicable tax year.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply: It is estimated that 2,800 taxpayers will complete forms ATF F 5630.5R and ATF F 5630.5RC in approximately 20 minutes (10 minutes for each form). It is also estimated that 200 new taxpayers will complete ATF F 5630.7 in its entirety in approximately 15 minutes. The total number of respondents for this information collection is 3,000.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The total burden for ATF F 5630.5R and ATF F 5630.5RC is 933 hours. The total burden for ATF F 5630.7 is 50 hours. The estimated total public burden associated with this information collection is 983 hours.
If additional information is required contact: Brenda E. Dyer, Department Deputy Clearance Officer, Policy and Planning Staff, Justice Management Division, United States Department of Justice, 601 D Street NW, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, NW, Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: March 17, 2004.
Department Deputy Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 04-6403 Filed 3-22-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-P