Department of Defense (DoD).
Proposed rule with request for comments.
DoD is proposing to amend the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) to update text pertaining to selection of firms for architect-engineer contracts. This proposed rule is a result of a transformation initiative undertaken by DoD to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS.
Comments on the proposed rule should be submitted in writing to the address shown below on or before August 24, 2004, to be considered in the formation of the final rule.
You may submit comments, identified by DFARS Case 2003-D035, using any of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- Defense Acquisition Regulations Web site: http://emissary.acq.osd.mil/dar/dfars.nsf/pubcomm. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- E-mail: email@example.com. Include DFARS Case 2003-D035 in the subject line of the message.
- Fax: (703) 602-0350.
- Mail: Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, Attn: Mr. Euclides Barrera, OUSD(AT&L)DPAP(DAR), IMD 3C132, 3062 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-3062.
- Hand Delivery/Courier: Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, Crystal Square 4, Suite 200A, 241 18th Street, Arlington, VA 22202-3402.
All comments received will be posted to http://emissary.acq.osd.mil/dar/dfars.nsf.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Mr. Euclides Barrera, (703) 602-0296.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
DFARS Transformation is a major DoD initiative to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS. The objective is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the acquisition process, while allowing the acquisition workforce the flexibility to innovate. The transformed DFARS will contain only requirements of law, DoD-wide policies, delegations of FAR authorities, deviations from FAR requirements, and policies/procedures that have a significant effect beyond the internal operating procedures of DoD or a significant cost or administrative impact on contractors or offerors. Additional information on the DFARS Transformation initiative is available at http://www.acq.osd.mil/dp/dars/transf.htm.
This proposed rule is a result of the DFARS Transformation initiative. The proposed changes—
- Revise DFARS 236.602-1 to remove procedures for establishment of evaluation criteria in the selection of firms for architect-engineer contracts. This text will be relocated to the new DFARS companion resource, Procedures, Guidance, and Information (PGI). A proposed rule describing the purpose and structure of PGI was published at 69 FR 8145 on February 23, 2004.
- Remove unnecessary text on preselection boards and selection authorities at DFARS 236.602-2 and 236.602-4.
- Amend DFARS 236.604 to reflect replacement of Standard Form 254, Architect-Engineer and Related Services Questionnaire, with Standard Form 330, Architect-Engineer Qualifications.
This rule was not subject to Office of Management and Budget review under Executive Order 12866, dated September 30, 1993.
B. Regulatory Flexibility Act
DoD does not expect this rule to have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities within the meaning of the Regulatory Flexibility Act, 5 U.S.C. 601 et seq., because the changes in the rule represent no substantive change to policy with regard to selection of firms for architect-engineer contracts. Therefore, DoD has not performed an initial regulatory flexibility analysis. DoD invites comments from small businesses and other interested parties. DoD also will consider comments from small entities concerning the affected DFARS subpart in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 610. Such comments should be submitted separately and should cite DFARS Case 2003-D035.
C. Paperwork Reduction Act
The Paperwork Reduction Act does not apply because the rule does not impose any information collection requirements that require the approval of the Office of Management and Budget under 44 U.S.C. 3501 et seq.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 48 CFR Part 236
- Government procurement
Michele P. Peterson,
Executive Editor, Defense Acquisition Regulations Council.
Therefore, DoD proposes to amend 48 CFR part 236 as follows:
1. The authority citation for 48 CFR part 236 continues to read as follows:Start Part
PART 236—CONSTRUCTION AND ARCHITECT-ENGINEER CONTRACTS
2. Section 236.602-1 is revised to read as follows:
(a) Establish the evaluation criteria before making the public announcement required by FAR 5.205(c) and include the criteria and their relative order of importance in the announcement. Follow the procedures at PGI 236.602-1.
3. Sections 236.602-2 and 236.602-4 are removed.
4. Section 236.604 is amended by revising paragraph (c)(ii) to read as follows:
(c) * * *
(ii) File and use the DD Form 2631, Performance Evaluation (Architect-Engineer), in a manner similar to the SF 330, Architect-Engineer Qualifications, Part II.
[FR Doc. 04-14341 Filed 6-24-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-08-P