Department of Defense (DoD).
Proposed rule with request for comments.
DoD is proposing to amend the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) to update text pertaining to the use of fidelity and forgery bonds under DoD contracts. This proposed rule is a result of a transformation initiative undertaken by DoD to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS.
Comments on the proposed rule should be submitted in writing to the address shown below on or before October 12, 2004, to be considered in the formation of the final rule.
You may submit comments, identified by DFARS Case 2003-D033, using any of the following methods:
- Federal eRulemaking Portal: http://www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- Defense Acquisition Regulations Web Site: http://emissary.acq.osd.mil/dar/dfars.nsf/pubcomm. Follow the instructions for submitting comments.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include DFARS Case 2003-D033 in the subject line of the message.
- Fax: Primary: (703) 602-7887; Alternate: (703) 602-0350.
- Mail: Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, Attn: Mr. Thaddeus Godlewski, OUSD(AT&L)DPAP(DAR), IMD 3C132, 3062 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-3062.
- Hand Delivery/Courier: Defense Acquisition Regulations Council, Crystal Square 4, Suite 200A, 241 18th Street, Arlington, VA 22202-3402.
All comments received will be posted to http://emissary.acq.osd.mil/dar/dfars.nsf.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Mr. Thaddeus Godlewski, (703) 602-2022.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
DFARS Transformation is a major DoD initiative to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS. The objective is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the acquisition process, while allowing the acquisition workforce the flexibility to innovate. The transformed DFARS will contain only requirements of law, DoD-wide policies, delegations of FAR authorities, deviations from FAR requirements, and policies/procedures that have a significant effect beyond the internal operating procedures of DoD or a significant cost or administrative impact on contractors or offerors. Additional information on the DFARS Transformation initiative is available at http://www.acq.osd.mil/dp/dars/transf.htm.
This proposed rule is a result of the DFARS Transformation initiative. The proposed changes—
- Amend DFARS 228.105 to clarify that fidelity and forgery bonds are authorized for use under certain circumstances; and
- Amend DFARS 228.106-7(a) to update a cross-reference.
This rule was not subject to Office of Management and Budget review under Executive Order 12866, dated September 30, 1993.
B. Regulatory Flexibility Act
DoD does not expect this rule to have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities within the meaning of the Regulatory Flexibility Act, 5 U.S.C. 601, et seq., because the rule updates and clarifies DFARS text, but makes no substantive change to policy. Therefore, DoD has not performed an initial regulatory flexibility analysis. DoD invites comments from small businesses and other interested parties. DoD also will consider comments from small entities concerning the affected DFARS subpart in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 610. Such comments should be submitted separately and should cite DFARS Case 2003-D033. Start Printed Page 48445
C. Paperwork Reduction Act
The Paperwork Reduction Act does not apply because the rule does not impose any information collection requirements that require the approval of the Office of Management and Budget under 44 U.S.C. 3501, et seq.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 48 CFR Part 228End List of Subjects Start Signature
Michele P. Peterson,
Executive Editor, Defense Acquisition Regulations Council.
Therefore, DoD proposes to amend 48 CFR part 228 as follows:
1. The authority citation for 48 CFR part 228 continues to read as follows:Start Part
PART 228—BONDS AND INSURANCE
2. Section 228.105 is revised to read as follows:
Fidelity and forgery bonds generally are not required but are authorized for use when—
(1) Necessary for the protection of the Government or the contractor; or
(2) The investigative and claims services of a surety company are desired.
3. Section 228.106-7 is amended in paragraph (a) by revising the parenthetical to read “(see FAR 32.112-1(b))”.
[FR Doc. 04-18085 Filed 8-9-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-08-P