Request OMB Emergency Approval: Checklist for On-Site Review of Schools; OMB-35, 1615-0006.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) has submitted an emergency information collection request (ICR) utilizing emergency review procedures, to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in accordance with section 1320.13(a)(1)(ii) and (a)(2)(iii) of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The DHS has determined that it cannot reasonably comply with the normal clearance procedures under this part because normal clearance procedures are reasonably likely to prevent or disrupt the collection of information. Therefore, immediate OMB approval has been requested. If granted, the emergency approval is only valid for 180 days. ALL comments and/or questions pertaining to this pending request for emergency approval MUST be directed to OMB, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Desk Officer, Department of Homeland Security, 725—17th Street, NW., Suite 10235, Washington, DC 20503; 202-395-5806.
During the first 60 days of this same period, a regular review of this information collection is also being undertaken. During the regular review period, the DHS requests written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning this information collection. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted until October 29, 2004. During the 60-day regular review, ALL comments and suggestions, or questions regarding additional information, to include obtaining a copy of the information collection instrument with instructions, should be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan, 202-616-7600, Director, Regulations and Forms Services Division, Department of Homeland Security, Room 4034, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536. Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:Start Printed Page 52909
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved information collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Checklist for On-Site Review of Schools.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: No Agency Form Number; File No. OMB-35, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individuals or Households. The data is used by the agency when conducting on-site visits at schools that submitted certification applications in SEVIS after the preliminary enrollment period.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 10,000 responses at 65 (1.083) minutes per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 10,830 annual burden hours.
If you have additional comments, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions, or additional information, please contact Richard A. Sloan 202-616-7600, Director, Regulations and Forms Services Division, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security, Room 4304, 425 I Street, NW., Washington, DC 20536. Additionally, comments and/or suggestions regarding the item(s) contained in this notice, especially regarding the estimated public burden and associated response time may also be directed to Mr. Richard A. Sloan.Start Signature
Dated: August 24, 2004.
Richard A. Sloan,
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Homeland Security, Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.
[FR Doc. 04-19751 Filed 8-27-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-10-M