Notice of request for public comments.
The Department of State is seeking Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval for the information collection described below. The purpose of this notice is to allow 60 days for public comment in the Federal Register preceding submission to OMB. We are conducting this process in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995.
- Title of Information Collection: Generic Clearance Information Collection for ECA Evaluation Program.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-XXXX.
- Type of Request: New Collection.
- Originating Office: Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), Office of Policy and Evaluation (ECA/P).
- Form Number: None.
- Respondents: Respondents of program evaluation and/or program monitoring activities under the proposed information collection may include U.S. and foreign applicants, current grantee exchange visitor participants (J-1 visa holders) and alumni of the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) exchange programs, domestic grantee organizations and program administrators, foreign partner organizations, domestic and foreign hosts of exchange visitor participants, and other similar types of respondents associated with ECA exchange programs.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 2,617.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 2,617.
- Average Hours Per Response: 45 minutes.
- Total Estimated Burden: 1,962 hours.
- Frequency: Information may be collected annually, on occasion, and per evaluation project.
- Obligation to Respond: Voluntary.
The Department will accept comments from the public up to 60 days from September 10, 2004.
You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- E-mail: MartinTL1@state.gov. You must include the DS form number (if applicable), information collection title, and OMB control number in the subject line of your message.
- Mail (paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions): Tamara L. Martin, U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of Policy and Evaluation (ECA/P), 301 4th Street SW, Room 336 (SA-44), Washington, DC 20547.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Direct requests for additional information regarding the collection listed in this notice, including requests for copies of the proposed information collection and supporting documents, to Tamara L. Martin, U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of Policy and Evaluation (ECA/P), 301 4th Street SW., Room 336 (SA-44), Washington, DC 20547, who may be reached on (202) 205-1975.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
- Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary for the proper performance of our functions.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of technology.
Abstract of proposed collection: The information collection will facilitate the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs' (ECA) ability to regularly collect critical and timely feedback data from a defined universe of respondents (customer base). The evaluation and performance measurement data obtained through the information collection will allow ECA to better assess and improve ECA's exchange programs, learn more about the results and effectiveness of ECA programs, and comply with reporting requirements established by Congress and the Office of Management and Budget. ECA's Start Printed Page 54825exchange programs are critical to the Department of State's foreign policy mission and public diplomacy strategy as they are designed to help promote a balanced and accurate view of the United States and build partnerships around the world.
Methodology: Data collected through the information collection will be derived from customer/ respondent paper and on-line surveys, personal interviews and/or focus groups. The customer/respondent base includes applicants, participants, alumni, program administrators, hosts and grantee organizations involved in ECA exchange programs.Start Signature
Dated: August 17, 2004.
Executive Director, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Department of State.
[FR Doc. 04-20525 Filed 9-9-04; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4710-05-P