30-day notice of information collection under review: 2005 National Survey of Prosecutors
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of Justice Programs (OJP) has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register Volume 70, Number 18, page 4151 on January 28, 2005, allowing for a 60 day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public comment until May 13, 2005. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention Department of Justice Desk Officer, Washington, DC 20503. Additionally, comments may be submitted to OMB via facsimile to (202) 395-5806. Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Reinstatement, with change, of previously approved collection for which approval has expired.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: 2005 National Survey of Prosecutors.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: Form Number: NSP-05. Bureau of Justice Statistics, Office of Justice Programs, Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: The NSP-05 is the only collection effort that provides basic information on prosecutorial office staffing and operations, use of innovative prosecution techniques, felony and misdemeanor caseloads, prosecution of computer related crimes, juvenile offenses, and use of DNA evidence.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply: It is estimated that 310 surveys, requiring approximately 30 minutes to complete, will be submitted to the State Prosecutor Offices in each selected district.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The estimated public burden Start Printed Page 19505associated with this collection is 155 hours.
If additional information is required contact: Brenda E. Dyer, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: April 7, 2005.
Brenda E. Dyer,
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. 05-7341 Filed 4-12-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-18X-P