Notice of request for public comment and submission to OMB of proposed collection of information.Start Printed Page 30513
The Department of State has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995.
- Title of Information Collection: Department of State Application for Employment.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-0139.
- Type of Request: Extension of a Currently Approved Collection.
- Originating Office: Bureau of Human Resources, Office of Recruitment, Examination, Employment (HR/REE).
- Form Number: DS-1950 and DS-5056.
- Respondents: U.S. Citizens seeking entry into the Department of State Foreign Service and individuals, sophomore through graduate level college and university students, seeking participation in the Department's student programs.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 16,000.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 16,000.
- Average Hours Per Response: 0.5 hour.
- Total Estimated Burden: 8,000 hours.
- Frequency: On occasion.
- Obligation to Respond: Required to obtain a benefit.
Submit comments to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for up to 30 days from May 26, 2005.
Direct comments and questions to Katherine Astrich, the Department of State Desk Officer in the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), who may be reached at 202-395-4718. You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- E-mail: Katherine_T._Astrich@omb.eop.gov. You must include the DS form number, information collection title, and OMB control number in the subject line of your message.
- Mail (paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions): Office of Foreign Missions, U.S. Department of State, 2201 C Street, NW., Washington, DC 20520.
- Fax: 202-395-6974.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Direct requests for additional information regarding the collection listed in this notice, including requests for copies of the proposed information collection and supporting documents, to Kevin M. Bennecoff, Bureau of Human Resources, Recruitment Division, Student Programs, U.S. Department of State, Washington, DC 20520, who may be reached on 202-261-8869 or by e-mail at BennecoffKM@state.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
- Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary to properly perform our functions.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of technology.
Abstract of proposed collection: The DS-1950 has been the primary form used by individuals to apply for certain excepted jobs at the Department of State, such as Foreign Service and student intern positions. We wish to continue to use this form to clarify interpretation of applicant responses and how applicants become aware of our program opportunities. The new electronic option mentioned in the 60-day package has been assigned the form number DS-5056.
Methodology: The computer-readable and online forms will be used by applicants for certain excepted service jobs at the Department of State, such as Student Programs and Foreign Service jobs. These programs generate approximately 16,000 applications per year. Data is necessary to determine qualifications, and selections, in accordance with Federal policies. The online version will be filled out and submitted through careers.state.gov.Start Signature
Dated: April 15, 2005.
Executive Director, Bureau of Human Resources, Department of State.
[FR Doc. 05-10582 Filed 5-25-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4710-15-P