Notice of request for public comment and submission to OMB of proposed collection of information.
The Department of State has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995.
- Title of Information Collection: Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-0129.
- Type of Request: Extension of a currently approved collection.
- Originating Office: Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State, Passport Services, Office of Field Operations, Field Coordination Division (CA/PPT/FO/FC).
- Form Number: DS-3053.
- Respondents: Individuals or households.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 525,000 annually.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 525,000 annually.
- Average Hours Per Response: 1 hour.
- Total Estimated Burden: 525,000 hours annually.
- Frequency: On occasion.
- Obligation to Respond: Required to obtain or retain a benefit.
Submit comments to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for up to 30 days from July 5, 2005.
Direct comments and questions to Katherine Astrich, the Department of State Desk Officer in the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), who may be reached at 202-395-4718. You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- E-mail: Katherine_T._Astrich@omb.eop.gov. You must include the DS form number, information collection title, and OMB control number in the subject line of your message.
- Mail (paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions): Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, 725 17th Street, NW., Washington, DC 20503.
- Fax: 202-395-6974.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
You may obtain copies of the proposed information collection and supporting documents from, Susan Cowlishaw, (2100 Pennsylvania Ave., 3rd Floor, Washington, DC 20037) who may be reached on 202-261-8957 or at Cowlishawsc@state.gov.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
- Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary to properly perform our functions.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond.
Abstract of Proposed Collection
The Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14 is used by the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of a minor U.S. citizen or non-citizen national under the age of 14 to document the written notarized consent to issuance of a U.S. passport to the minor of a parent or legal guardian who is not present at the time the application is made, or to document the existence of exigent or special family circumstances. This form is used in conjunction with Form DS-11, Application for a U.S. Passport or Registration.
Passport Services collects the information from U.S. citizens or non-citizen nationals when they voluntarily complete and submit the Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 14. Passport applicants can either download the form from the Internet or pick one up from an Acceptance Facility/Passport Agency. The form must be completed and then signed in the presence of a notary. The notary will complete his/her portion of the form and affix the notary seal. The form is then submitted along with the Form DS-11 Application for a U.S. Passport.Start Signature
Dated: June 23, 2005.
Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary for Passport Services, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State.
[FR Doc. 05-13107 Filed 7-1-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4710-06-P