Department of Defense (DoD).
DoD has issued a final rule amending the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) to update text pertaining to subcontracts awarded under DoD contracts. This rule is a result of a transformation initiative undertaken by DoD to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS.
November 9, 2005.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Ms. Deborah Tronic, Defense Acquisition Regulations System, OUSD(AT&L)DPAP(DAR), IMD 3C132, 3062 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-3062. Telephone (703) 602-0289; facsimile (703) 602-0350. Please cite DFARS Case 2003-D025.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
DFARS Transformation is a major DoD initiative to dramatically change the purpose and content of the DFARS. The objective is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the acquisition process, while allowing the acquisition workforce the flexibility to innovate. The transformed DFARS will contain only requirements of law, DoD-wide policies, delegations of FAR authorities, deviations from FAR requirements, and policies/procedures that have a significant effect beyond the internal operating procedures of DoD or a significant cost or administrative impact on contractors or offerors. Additional information on the DFARS Transformation initiative is available at http://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dars/dfars/transformation/index.htm.
This final rule is a result of the DFARS Transformation initiative. The rule:
- Revises DFARS 244.301 to clarify Government responsibilities for conducting reviews of contractor purchasing systems.
- Deletes text at DFARS 244.304 containing examples of weaknesses in a contractor's purchasing system that may indicate the need for a review. This text has been relocated to the new DFARS companion resource, Procedures, Guidance, and Information (PGI), available at http://www.acq.osd.mil/dpap/dars/pgi.
- Updates the clause at DFARS 252.244-7000 to reflect the current title of the clause at FAR 52.244-6, Subcontracts for Commercial Items.
DoD published a proposed rule at 70 FR 19044 on April 12, 2005. DoD received no comments on the proposed rule. Therefore, DoD has adopted the proposed rule as a final rule without change.
This rule was not subject to Office of Management and Budget review under Executive Order 12866, dated September 30, 1993.
B. Regulatory Flexibility Act
DoD certifies that this final rule will not have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small entities within the meaning of the Regulatory Flexibility Act, 5 U.S.C. 601, et seq., because the rule updates, clarifies, and streamlines DFARS text, but makes no significant change to DoD contracting policy.
C. Paperwork Reduction Act
The Paperwork Reduction Act does not apply because the rule does not impose any information collection requirements that require the approval of the Office of Management and Budget under 44 U.S.C. 3501, et seq.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 48 CFR Parts 244 and 252
- Government procurement
Michele P. Peterson,
Editor, Defense Acquisition Regulations System.
Therefore, 48 CFR parts 244 and 252 are amended as follows:End Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
1. The authority citation for 48 CFR parts 244 and 252 continues to read as follows:End Amendment Part Start Part
PART 244—SUBCONTRACTING POLICIES AND PROCEDURESEnd Part Start Amendment Part
2. Section 244.301 is revised to read as follows:End Amendment Part
The administrative contracting officer (ACO) is solely responsible for initiating reviews of the contractor's purchasing systems, but other organizations may request that the ACO initiate such reviews.
3. Section 244.304 is revised to read as follows:End Amendment Part
(b) The ACO, or the purchasing system analyst (PSA) with the Start Printed Page 67923concurrence of the ACO, may initiate a special review of specific weaknesses in the contractor's purchasing system. See PGI 244.304(b) for examples of weaknesses.
PART 252—SOLICITATION PROVISIONS AND CONTRACT CLAUSES
4. Section 252.244-7000 is amended as follows:End Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
a. By revising the clause date to read “(NOV 2005)”; andEnd Amendment Part Start Amendment Part
b. In the introductory text of the clause by removing the phrase “and Commercial Components”.End Amendment Part End Supplemental Information
[FR Doc. 05-22105 Filed 11-8-05; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 5001-08-P