Department of State.
Notice of request for public comments.
The Department of State is seeking Office of Management and Budget (OMB) approval for the information collection described below. The purpose of this notice is to allow 60 days for public comment in the Federal Register preceding submission to OMB. We are conducting this process in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. Start Printed Page 47285
- Title of Information Collection: Application for A, G, or NATO Visa.
- OMB Control Number: 1405-0100.
- Type of Request: Extension of a Currently Approved Collection.
- Originating Office: Bureau of Consular Affairs, Office of Visa Services.
- Form Number: DS-1648.
- Respondents: All applicants for A, G, or NATO visas reauthorizations.
- Estimated Number of Respondents: 20,000.
- Estimated Number of Responses: 20,000.
- Average Hours Per Response: 30 minutes.
- Total Estimated Burden: 10,000 hours.
- Frequency: Once per application.
- Obligation to Respond: Required to obtain benefit.
The Department will accept comments from the public up to 60 days from August 16, 2006.
You may submit comments by any of the following methods:
- E-mail: VisaRegs@state.gov (the subject line of the e-mail must be DS-1648).
- Mail (paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions): Chief, Legislation and Regulation Division, Visa Services—DS-1648 Reauthorization, 2401 E. Street, NW., Washington DC 20520-30106.
- Fax: (202) 663-3898.
You must include the DS form number, information collection title, and OMB control number in any correspondence.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Direct requests for additional information regarding the collection listed in this notice, including requests for copies of the proposed information collection and supporting documents, to Andrea Lage of the Office of Visa Services, U.S. Department of State, 2401 E. Street, NW. L-603, Washington, DC 20522, who may be reached at (202) 663-1221 or firstname.lastname@example.org.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
- Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary for the proper performance of our functions.
- Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
- Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond, including the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of technology.
Abstract of proposed collection: The Department of State uses Form DS-1648 to elicit information necessary to ascertain the applicability of the legal requirements for applicants for a renewal of A, G, or NATO visas. The information requested is limited to that which is necessary to determine the eligibility of applicants who seek renewal of their visas. An estimated 20,000 renewal applications are filed each year.
Methodology: Applicants complete this form using an online application available on the Department's Web site, http://www.travel.state.gov. The applicant then prints the application and a bar code is printed at the bottom of the form. The bar code is an electronic capture of the information provided by the applicant. The application is then submitted by mail to the Department. The Department scans the bar code on the application to retrieve the information electronically. Applicants are not allowed to submit handwritten or typed forms with printed bar codes.Start Signature
Dated: July 28, 2006.
Stephen A. Edson,
Deputy Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Department of State.
[FR Doc. E6-13480 Filed 8-15-06; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4710-06-P