60-day notice of information collection under review: procedures for the administration of section 5 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), CRT has submitted the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for “sixty days” until December 26, 2006. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Gaye Tenoso, U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.,Voting Section, 1800G, Washington, DC 20530.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Procedures for the Administration of Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
(3) Agency form number: None.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: State or Local Tribal Government. Other: None. Abstract: Jurisdictions specifically covered under the Voting Rights Act are required to obtain preclearance from the Attorney General before instituting changes affecting voting. They must convince the Attorney General that proposed voting changes are not racially discriminatory. The procedures facilitate the provision of information that will enable the Attorney General to make the required determination.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: It is estimated that 4,727 respondents will complete each form within approximately 10.02 hours.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 47,365 total annual burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Lynn Bryant, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: October 20, 2006.
Lynn Bryant, Lynn Bryant
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. E6-17901 Filed 10-25-06; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-13-P