30-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: Procedures for the Administration of Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), CRT will be submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register Volume 71, Number 207, page 62610 on October 26, 2006, allowing for a 60 day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public comment until February 22, 2007. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention Department of Justice Desk Officer, Washington, DC 20503. Additionally, comments may be submitted to OMB via facsimile to (202) 395-5806. Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points: Start Printed Page 2906
- Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
- Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
- Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
- Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Procedures for the Administration of Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
(3) Agency form number: None.
(4) Affected Public: Primary: State, Local or Tribal Government. Brief Abstract: Jurisdictions specifically covered under the Voting Rights Act are required to obtain preclearance from the Attorney General before instituting changes affecting voting. They must convince the Attorney General that proposed voting changes are not racially discriminatory. The procedures facilitate the provision of information that will enable the Attorney General to make the required determination.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond. It is estimated that 4,727 respondents will complete each form within approximately 10.02 hours.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 47,365 total annual burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Lynn Bryant, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: January 17, 2007.
Department Clearance Officer, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. E7-859 Filed 1-22-07; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-13-P