30-day notice of information collection under review: Revision of a currently approved collection law enforcement officers killed or assaulted.
The Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Criminal Justice Information Services Division will be submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and clearance in accordance with established review procedures of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Start Printed Page 9587Register on December 21, 2006, Volume 71, Number 245, Pages 76688-76689 allowing for a 60 day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public comment until April 2, 2007. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to Mr. Gregory E. Scarbro, Unit Chief, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division, Module E-3, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, West Virginia 26306; facsimile (304) 625-3566.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Comments should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques of other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of this information collection:
(1) Type of information collection: Revision of a currently approved collection.
(2) The title of the form/collection: Law Enforcement Officers Killed or Assaulted
(3) The agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the department sponsoring the collection: Form 1-705; Criminal Justice Information Services Division, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Department of Justice.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: City, county, State, Federal and tribal law enforcement agencies. This collection is needed to collect information on law enforcement officers killed or assaulted in the line of duty throughout the United States. Data are tabulated and published in the annual Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted publication.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: There are approximately 17,499 law enforcement agency participants; calculated estimates indicate 7 minutes for respondents to complete hard copy and 5 minutes for electronic submission completion.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with this collection: There are approximately 3,500 hours, annual burden, associated with this information collection.
If additional information is required contact: Lynn Bryant, Department Clearance Officer, Policy and Planning Staff, Justice Management Division, United States Department of Justice, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: February 26, 2007.
Department Clearance Officer, PRA, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. E7-3662 Filed 3-1-07; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-02-P