Fish and Wildlife Service, Interior.
Notice; request for comments.
We (Fish and Wildlife Service) will ask the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to approve the information collection (IC) described below. As required by the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 and as part of our continuing efforts to reduce paperwork and respondent burden, we invite the general public and other Federal agencies to take this opportunity to comment on this IC, which is scheduled to expire on September 30, 2007. We may not conduct or sponsor and a person is not required to respond to a collection of information unless it displays a currently valid OMB control number.
You must submit comments on or before June 22, 2007.
Send your comments on the IC to Hope Grey, Information Collection Clearance Officer, Fish and Wildlife Service, MS 222-ARLSQ, 4401 North Fairfax Drive, Arlington, VA 22203 (mail); email@example.com (e-mail); or (703) 358-2269 (fax).Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
To request additional information about this IC, contact Hope Grey by mail, fax, or e-mail (see ADDRESSES) or by telephone at (703) 358-2482.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The Endangered Species Act (ESA) (16 U.S.C. 1531 et seq.) makes it unlawful to import or export fish, wildlife, or plants without obtaining prior permission as deemed necessary for enforcing the ESA or upholding the Convention on International Trade in Start Printed Page 20132Endangered Species (CITES) (see 16 U.S.C. 1538(e)).
This IC includes the following permit/license application forms:
(1) FWS Form 3-200-2 (Designated Port Exception Permit). Under 50 CFR 14.11, it is unlawful to import or export wildlife or wildlife products at ports other than those designated in 50 CFR 14.12 unless you qualify for an exception. These exceptions allow qualified individuals, businesses, or scientific organizations to import or export wildlife or wildlife products at a nondesignated port:
(a) When the wildlife or wildlife products will be used as scientific specimens.
(b) To minimize deterioration or loss.
(c) To relieve economic hardship.
To request an import or export of wildlife or wildlife products at nondesignated ports, applicants must complete FWS Form 3-200-2. Designated port exception permits are valid for 2 years.
(2) FWS Form 3-200-3 (Import/Export License). It is unlawful to import or export wildlife or wildlife products for commercial purposes without first obtaining an import/export license (50 CFR 14.91). Applicants must complete FWS Form 3-200-3 to request this license. We use the information that we collect on the application as an enforcement tool and management aid to: (a) Monitor the international wildlife market and (b) detect trends and changes in the commercial trade of wildlife and wildlife products. Import/export licenses are valid for 1 year.
We require import/export licensees to maintain records that accurately describe each importation or exportation of wildlife or wildlife products made under the license, and any additional sale or transfer of the wildlife or wildlife products. In addition, licensees must make these records and the corresponding inventory of wildlife or wildlife products available for our inspection at reasonable times, subject to applicable limitations of law. We believe the burden associated with these recordkeeping requirements is minimal because the records already exist. Importers and exporters must complete FWS Form 3-177 (Declaration for Importation or Exportation of Fish or Wildlife) for all imports or exports of wildlife or wildlife products. This form provides an accurate description of the imports and exports. OMB has approved the information collection for FWS Form 3-177 and assigned OMB Control Number 1018-0012, which expires January 31, 2010. Normal business practices should produce records (e.g., invoices or bills of sale) needed to document additional sales or transfers of the wildlife or wildlife products.
OMB Control Number: 1018-0092.
Title: Federal Fish and Wildlife License/Permit Applications, Law Enforcement.
Service Form Number(s): 3-200-2 and 3-200-3.
Type of Request: Revision of currently approved collection.
Affected Public: Individuals, businesses, and scientific institutions.
Respondent's Obligation: Required to obtain or retain a benefit.
Frequency of Collection: On occasion.
Estimated Annual Nonhour Burden: $1,567,300 for fees associated with permit applications.
|Activity||Number of annual respondents||Number of annual responses||Completion time per response||Annual burden hours|
|3-200-2 - Application for Designated Port Exception Permit||1,173||1,173||1 hour||1,173|
|3-200-3 - Application for Import/Export License||14,500||14,500||1 hour||14,500|
|3-200-3 - Recordkeeping||*14,500||*14,500||15 minutes||3,625|
*Not included in total because the respondents for the recordkeeping requirement are the same as those for the application.
III. Request for Comments
We invite comments concerning this IC on:
(1) whether or not the collection of information is necessary, including whether or not the information will have practical utility;
(2) the accuracy of our estimate of the burden for this collection of information;
(3) ways to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) ways to minimize the burden of the collection of information on respondents.
Comments that you submit in response to this notice are a matter of public record. We will include and/or summarize each comment in our request to OMB to approve this IC. Before including your address, phone number, e-mail address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, you should be aware that your entire comment, including your personal identifying information, may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.Start Signature
Dated: March 23, 2007
Information Collection Clearance Officer, Fish and Wildlife Service.
FR Doc. E7-7592 Filed 4-20-07; 8:45 am
BILLING CODE 4310-55-S