30-Day Notice of Information Collection Under Review: COPS Non-Hiring Progress Report.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) will be submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The revision of a currently approved information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register Volume 72, Number 234, Pages 68898-68899, on December 6, 2007, allowing for a 60 day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public comment February 8, 2008. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
If you have comments especially on the estimated public burden or associated response time, suggestions, or need a copy of the proposed information collection instrument with instructions or additional information, please contact Rebekah Dorr, Department of Justice Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, 1100 Vermont Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20530.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agency's estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Proposed collection; comments requested.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: COPS Non-Hiring Progress Report.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department sponsoring the collection: None. U.S. Department of Justice Office of Community Oriented Policing Services.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Law enforcement and partner public safety agencies, institutions of higher learning and non-profit organizations that are recipients of COPS Non-Hiring Grants from Fiscal Year 2007 and forward.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond/reply:Start Printed Page 1645
It is estimated that approximately 2,975 annual, quarterly, and final report respondents can complete the report in an average of one hour.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 3,200 total burden hours.
If additional information is required contact: Lynn Bryant, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Justice Management Division, Policy and Planning Staff, Patrick Henry Building, Suite 1600, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: January 3, 2008.
Department Clearance Officer, PRA, Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. E8-139 Filed 1-8-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-AT-P