Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, HHS.
In compliance with the requirement of section 3506(c)(2)(A) of the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Department of Health and Human Services, is publishing the following summary of proposed collections for public comment. Interested persons are invited to send comments regarding this burden estimate or any other aspect of this collection of information, including any of the following subjects: (1) The necessity and utility of the proposed information collection for the proper performance of the Agency's function; (2) the accuracy of the estimated burden; (3) ways to enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and (4) the use of automated collection techniques or other forms of information technology to minimize the information collection burden.
1. Type of Information Collection Request: Extension without change of a currently approved collection; Title of Information Collection: Limitations on Provider Related Donations and Health Care Related Taxes; Limitation on Payments for Disproportionate Share Hospitals and Supporting Regulations in 42 CFR 433.68, 433.74 and 447.272; Use: This information collection is necessary to ensure compliance with Sections 1903 and 1923 of the Social Security Act for the purpose of preventing payments of Federal financial participation on amounts prohibited by statute. Form Number: CMS-R-148 (OMB# 0938-0618); Frequency: Quarterly and occasionally; Affected Public: State, Local or Tribal Governments; Number of Respondents: 50; Total Annual Responses: 40; Total Annual Hours: 3,200.
2. Type of Information Collection Request: Extension without change of a currently approved collection; Title of Information Collection: Granting and Withdrawal of Deeming Authority to Private Nonprofit Accreditation Organizations and of State Exemption Under State Laboratory Programs and Supporting Regulations in 42 CFR 493.551-493.557. Form Number: CMS-R-185 (OMB# 0938-0686); Frequency: On occasion; Affected Public: Private sector—Business or other for-profit and Not-for-profit institutions; Number of Respondents: 8; Total Annual Responses: 96; Total Annual Hours: 384.
3. Type of Information Collection Request: Extension of a currently approved collection; Title of Information Collection: Medical Records Review under the Prospective Payment System (PPS) and Supporting Regulations in 42 CFR 412.40-412.52; Use: The Social Security Amendments of 1983 (Public Law 98-21), requires quality improvement organization (QIO) review of medical services provided to Medicare beneficiaries. Review of services under the QIO program can be accomplished by individual case review and the Clinical Data Abstraction Centers (CDACs). Accordingly, QIOs must review, at the direction of CMS: (1) All anti-dumping referrals; (2) beneficiary complaints involving quality issues; (3) potential gross and flagrant violations of unnecessary admission concerns identified during project data collection; (4) requests from hospitals for higher-weighted DRG adjustments; (5) hospital and managed care plan issued notices of non-coverage; (6) specific codes for assistants at cataract surgery; and (7) cases referred by CMS, the Office of the Inspector General, the Department of Justice, the managed care appeals contractor, intermediaries, carriers, or the CDACs. Form Number: CMS-R-50 (OMB# 0938-0359); Start Printed Page 17985 Frequency: Yearly; Affected Public: Private sector—Business or other for-profit and Not-for-profit institutions; Number of Respondents: 6,100; Total Annual Responses: 276,500; Total Annual Hours: 8,280.
4. Type of Information Collection Request: Extension without change of a currently approved collection; Title of Information Collection: Phone Surveys of Products and Services for Medicare Payment Validation and Supporting Regulations in 42 CFR 405.502. Use: The phone surveys of products and services for Medicare payment validation and supporting regulations in 42 CFR 405.502 will be used to identify specific products/services provided to Medicare beneficiaries and the costs associated with the provision of those products/services. The information collected will be used to validate the Medicare payment amounts for those products/services and institute revisions of payment amounts where necessary. The respondents will be the companies that have provided the product/service under review to Medicare beneficiaries. Form Number: CMS-10112 (OMB# 0938-0939); Frequency: Occasionally; Affected Public: Private sector—Business or other for-profit; Number of Respondents: 4,000; Total Annual Responses: 4,000; Total Annual Hours: 16,000.
5. Type of Information Collection Request: Extension without change of a currently approved collection; Title of Information Collection: Chain Home Office Cost Statement and supporting Regulations in 42 CFR 413.17 and 413.20; Use: The Form CMS-287-05 is filed annually by Chain Home Offices to report the information necessary for the determination of Medicare reimbursement to components of chain organizations. However, where providers are components of chain organizations, information included in the chain home office cost statement is in addition to that included in the provider cost report and is needed to determine whether payments are appropriate. Form Number: CMS-287-05 (OMB# 0938-0202); Frequency: Yearly; Affected Public: Business or other for-profit and Not-for-profit institutions; Number of Respondents: 1,345; Total Annual Responses: 1,345; Total Annual Hours: 626,770.
To obtain copies of the supporting statement and any related forms for the proposed paperwork collections referenced above, access CMS Web site address at http://www.cms.hhs.gov/PaperworkReductionActof1995, or E-mail your request, including your address, phone number, OMB number, and CMS document identifier, to Paperwork@cms.hhs.gov, or call the Reports Clearance Office on (410) 786-1326.
To be assured consideration, comments and recommendations for the proposed information collections must be received by the OMB desk officer at the address below, no later than 5 p.m. on May 2, 2008. OMB Human Resources and Housing Branch, Attention: Carolyn Raffaelli, New Executive Office Building, Room 10235, Washington, DC 20503, Fax Number: (202) 395-6974.Start Signature
Dated: March 27, 2008.
Director, Regulations Development Group, Office of Strategic Operations and Regulatory Affairs.
[FR Doc. E8-6773 Filed 4-1-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4120-01-P