30-Day notice of information collection under review; Form G-146, Nonimmigrant Checkout Letter; OMB Control No. 1653-0020.
The Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (USICE), has submitted the following information collection request for review and clearance in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The information collection was previously published in the Federal Register on March 26, 2008, Vol. 73 No. 59 16035-16036, allowing for a 60-day public comment period. No comments were received on this information collection.
The purpose of this notice is to allow an additional 30 days for public comments. Comments are encouraged and will be accepted for thirty days until July 2, 2008.
Written comments and suggestions regarding items contained in this notice, and especially with regard to the estimated public burden and associated response time should be directed to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Lee Shirkey, Chief, Records Management Branch, Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, 425 I Street, NW., Room 1122, Washington, DC 20536; (202) 353-2266.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information should address one or more of the following four points:
(1) Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
(2) Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies' estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
(3) Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
(4) Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of currently approved information collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Order to Show Cause.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Homeland Security sponsoring the collection: Form G-146, Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
1. Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Individual or Households. When an alien (other than one who is required to depart under safeguards) is granted the privilege of voluntary departure without the issuance of an Order to Show Cause, a control card is prepared. If, after a certain period of time, a verification of departure is not received, actions are taken to locate the alien or ascertain his or her whereabouts. Form G-146 is used to inquire of persons in the United States or abroad regarding the whereabouts of the alien.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: 20,000 responses at 10 minutes (.16) per response.
(6) An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: 3,220 annual burden hours.
Comments and/or questions; requests for a copy of the proposed information collection instrument, with instructions; or inquiries for additional information should be directed to: Lee Shirkey, Chief, Records Management Branch, Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, 425 I Street, NW., Room 1122, Washington, DC 20536; (202) 353-2266.Start Signature
Dated: May 27, 2008.
Chief, Records Management Branch, Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Department of Homeland Security.
[FR Doc. E8-12229 Filed 5-30-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 9111-28-P