Skip to Content


Pacific Northwest Recreation Resource Advisory Committee

Document Details

Information about this document as published in the Federal Register.

Published Document

This document has been published in the Federal Register. Use the PDF linked in the document sidebar for the official electronic format.

Start Preamble


Forest Service, USDA.


Notice; request for nominations for Recreation Resource Advisory Committees.


Nominations are being sought for certain positions to serve on the Pacific Northwest Recreation Resource Advisory Committees (Recreation RAC). New members will be appointed by the Secretary of Agriculture (Secretary) and serve three-year terms. Appointments will begin in February 2009 when current member appointments expire.

One member is being sought to represent each of the following interests: Winter Non-motorized, Summer Non-motorized, Local Environmental, State Tourism, and Affected Local Governments. The public is invited to submit nominations for membership on the Recreation RAC. Current members who have only served one term may also apply. Application packets for Recreation RACs can be obtained from the Forest Service Pacific Northwest Regional Office listed below or on the Web at​passespermits/​rrac. All nominations must include a completed application packet that includes background information and other information that addresses a nominee's qualifications.


All applications must be received by the Pacific Northwest Regional Office on or before September 30, 2008. This timeframe may be extended if officials do not receive applications for needed positions.


You may submit nominations to the Pacific Northwest Recreation RAC by: U.S. Mail: Shandra Terry, Regional Public Involvement Coordinator, Public Affairs, Pacific Northwest Regional Office, PO Box 3623, Portland, OR 97208, (503) 808-2242.

Express Delivery: Shandra Terry, Regional Public Involvement Coordinator, Public Affairs, Pacific Northwest Regional Office, 333 SW 1st Ave., Portland, OR 97204, (503) 808-2242.

Start Further Info


Anyone wanting further information regarding this request for nominations may contact Jocelyn Biro, Recreation Fee Coordinator, Pacific Northwest Regional Office, PO Box 3623, Portland, OR 97208, (503) 808-2411.

End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information



The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (REA), signed December 2004, requires that the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) provide Recreation RACs with an opportunity to make recommendations to the two agencies on certain types of proposed recreation fee changes.

REA allows the agencies to use existing advisory councils, such as BLM Resource Advisory Councils (RACs), or to establish new committees as appropriate. The Forest Service and BLM elected to jointly use existing BLM RACs in the states of Arizona, Idaho, the Dakotas, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah. In 2006, the Forest Service chartered new Recreation RACs for the states of California and Colorado, and for the Forest Service Pacific Northwest, Eastern and Southern Regions. The Forest Service is using an existing advisory board for the Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota. Start Printed Page 49407In addition, the Governors of three states—Alaska, Nebraska and Wyoming—requested that their States be exempt from the REA-RIRAC requirement, and the two Departments concurred with the exemptions.

Members were appointed to the Pacific Northwest Recreation RAC in February 2007 for either two-year or three year terms. The terms for the two-year members will expire February 2009. The Pacific Northwest Recreation RAC provides recreation fee recommendations to both the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The Recreation RAC makes recreation fee program recommendations on implementing or eliminating standard amenity fees; expanded amenity fees; and noncommercial, individual special recreation permit fees; expanding or limiting the recreation fee program; and fee-level changes.

Recreation RAC Composition

The Recreation RAC consists of 11 members appointed by the Secretary. These members provide a broad and balanced representation from the recreation community as follows:

(1) Five persons who represent recreation users and that include, as appropriate, the following:

a. Winter motorized recreation, such as snowmobiling;

b. Winter non-motorized recreation, such as snowshoeing, cross-country and downhill skiing, and snowboarding;

c. Summer motorized recreation, such as motorcycles, boaters, and off-highway vehicles;

d. Summer non-motorized recreation, such as backpacking, horseback riding, mountain biking, canoeing, and rafting; and

e. Hunting and fishing.

(2) Three persons who represent interest groups that include, as appropriate, the following:

a. Motorized outfitters and guides;

b. Non-motorized outfitters and guides; and

c. Local environmental groups.

(3) Three persons, as follows:

a. State tourism official to represent the State;

b. A person who represents affected Indian tribes; and

c. A person who represents affected local government interests.

Nomination Information

Any individual or organization may nominate one or more qualified persons to represent the interests listed above to serve on the Recreation RAC. To be considered for membership, nominees must:

  • Identify what interest group they would represent and how they are qualified to represent that group;
  • State why they want to serve on the committee and what they can contribute;
  • Show their past experience in working successfully as part of a collaborative group; and
  • Complete Form AD-755, Advisory Committee or Research and Promotion Background Information.

Letters of recommendation are welcome. Individuals may also nominate themselves. Nominees do not need to live in a state within a particular Recreation RAC's area of jurisdiction nor live in a state in which Forest Service-managed lands are located.

Application packets, including evaluation criteria and the AD-755 form, are available at​passespermits/​rrac or by contacting the respective regions identified in this notice. Nominees must submit all documents to the appropriate regional contact. Additional information about recreation fees and REA is available at​passespermits/​about-rec-fees.shtml.

The Forest Service will also work with Governors and county officials to identify potential nominees.

The Forest Service will review the applications and prepare a list of qualified applicants from which the Secretary shall appoint both members and alternates. An alternate will become a participating member of the Recreation RAC only if the member for whom the alternate is appointed to replace leaves the committee permanently.

Recreation RAC members serve without pay but are reimbursed for travel and per diem expenses for regularly scheduled committee meetings. All Recreation RAC meetings are open to the public and an open public forum is part of each meeting. Meeting dates and times will be determined by agency officials in consultation with the Recreation RAC members.

Start Signature

Dated: August 14, 2008.

Calvin N. Joyner,

Acting Regional Forester, Pacific Northwest Region, USDA Forest Service.

End Signature End Supplemental Information

[FR Doc. E8-19253 Filed 8-20-08; 8:45 am]