30-day notice of information collection under review: Records and Supporting Data: Daily Summaries, Records of Production, Storage, and Disposition, and Supporting Data by Licensed Explosives Manufacturers.
The Department of Justice (DOJ), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) will be submitting the following information collection request to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for review and approval in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995. The proposed information collection is published to obtain comments from the public and affected agencies. This proposed information collection was previously published in the Federal Register Volume 73, Number 189, page 56610 on September 29, 2008, allowing for a 60 day comment period.
The purpose of this notice is to allow for an additional 30 days for public comment until January 5, 2009. This process is conducted in accordance with 5 CFR 1320.10.
Written comments and/or suggestions regarding the items contained in this notice, especially the estimated public burden and associated response time, should be directed to The Office of Management and Budget, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Attention: Department of Justice Desk Officer, Washington, DC 20503. Additionally, comments may be submitted to OMB via facsimile to (202) 395-5806.
Written comments and suggestions from the public and affected agencies concerning the proposed collection of information are encouraged. Your comments should address one or more of the following four points:
—Evaluate whether the proposed collection of information is necessary for the proper performance of the functions of the agency, including whether the information will have practical utility;
—Evaluate the accuracy of the agencies estimate of the burden of the proposed collection of information, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used;
—Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected; and
—Minimize the burden of the collection of information on those who are to respond, including through the use of appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses.
Overview of This Information Collection
(1) Type of Information Collection: Extension of a currently approved collection.
(2) Title of the Form/Collection: Records and Supporting Data: Daily Summaries, Records of Production, Storage and Disposition and Supporting Data by Explosives Manufacturers.
(3) Agency form number, if any, and the applicable component of the Department of Justice sponsoring the collection: Form Number: None. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(4) Affected public who will be asked or required to respond, as well as a brief abstract: Primary: Business or other for-profit. Other: None. Abstract: These records show daily activities in the manufacture, use, storage, and disposition of explosive materials by manufacturers. The records are used to show where and to whom explosive materials are sent, thereby ensuring that any diversion will be readily apparent and if lost or stolen, ATF will be immediately notified on discovery of the loss or theft. ATF requires that records be kept 5 years from the date a transaction occurs or until discontinuance of business or operations by the licensee.
(5) An estimate of the total number of respondents and the amount of time estimated for an average respondent to respond: There will be an estimated 2,008 respondents, who will take 15 minutes to maintain each record.
(6) An estimate of the total burden (in hours) associated with the collection: There are an estimated 130,520 total burden hours associated with this collection.
If additional information is required contact: Lynn Bryant, Department Clearance Officer, United States Department of Justice, Policy and Planning Staff, Justice Management Division, Suite 1600, Patrick Henry Building, 601 D Street, NW., Washington, DC 20530.Start Signature
Dated: December 2, 2008.
Department Clearance Officer, PRA, United States Department of Justice.
[FR Doc. E8-28861 Filed 12-4-08; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4410-FY-P