Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
EPA is proposing to approve a request submitted by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (Illinois EPA) on October 23, 2007, to revise the Illinois State Implementation Plan (SIP). The rules submitted by Illinois EPA satisfy the requirements of EPA's NOX SIP Call Phase II Rule (the Phase II Rule). We are proposing to approve these regulations based on Illinois' demonstration that the State will meet the emissions targets set forth in the Phase II Rule through reductions from stationary internal combustion (IC) engines and turbines which are identified in the NOX plan submittal. Limiting NOX emissions from IC engines and turbines will enable the State to meet the 7,055 ton reduction requirement contained in the Phase II Rule, thereby improving air quality and protecting the health of Illinois citizens.
Comments must be received on or before July 27, 2009.
Submit your comments, identified by Docket ID No. EPA-R05-OAR-2007-1131, by one of the following methods:
1. http://www.regulations.gov: Follow the on-line instructions for submitting comments.
2. E-mail: email@example.com.
3. Fax: (312) 692-2551.
4. Mail: John M. Mooney, Chief, Criteria Pollutant Section, Air Programs Branch (AR-18J), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 77 West Jackson Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois 60604.
5. Hand Delivery: John M. Mooney, Chief, Criteria Pollutant Section, Air Programs Branch (AR-18J), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 77 West Jackson Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois 60604. Such deliveries are only accepted during the Regional Office normal hours of operation, and special arrangements should be made for deliveries of boxed information. The Regional Office official hours of business are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., excluding Federal holidays.
Please see the direct final rule which is located in the Final Rules section of this Federal Register for detailed instructions on how to submit comments.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Andy Chang, Environmental Engineer, Criteria Pollutant Section, Air Programs Branch (AR-18J), Environmental Protection Agency, Region 5, 77 West Jackson Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois 60604, (312) 886-0258, firstname.lastname@example.org.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
In the Final Rules section of this Federal Register, EPA is approving the State's SIP submittal as a direct final rule without prior proposal because the Agency views this as a noncontroversial submittal and anticipates no adverse comments. A detailed rationale for the approval is set forth in the direct final rule. If we do not receive any adverse comments in response to this rule, we do not contemplate taking any further action. If EPA receives adverse comments, we will withdraw the direct final rule, and will address all public comments in a subsequent final rule based on this proposed rule. EPA will not institute a second comment period. Any parties interested in commenting on this action should do so at this time. Please note that if EPA receives adverse comment on an amendment, paragraph, or section of this rule and if that provision may be severed from the remainder of the rule, EPA may adopt as final those provisions of the rule that are not the subject of an adverse comment. For additional information, see the direct final rule, which is located in the Final Rules section of this Federal Register.Start List of Subjects
List of Subjects in 40 CFR Part 52
- Environmental protection
- Air pollution control
- Incorporation by reference
- Intergovernmental relations
- Nitrogen dioxide
- Particulate matter
- Reporting and recordkeeping requirements
Dated: June 11, 2009.
Walter W. Kovalick Jr.,
Acting Regional Administrator, Region 5.
[FR Doc. E9-14857 Filed 6-25-09; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 6560-50-P