Postal Regulatory Commission.
The Commission is noticing a recently-filed Postal Service request to add Express Mail & Priority Mail Contract 6 to the Competitive Product List. The Postal Service has also filed a related contract. This notice addresses procedural steps associated with these filings.
Comments are due July 15, 2009.
Submit comments electronically via the Commission's Filing Online system at http://www.prc.gov.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Stephen L. Sharfman, General Counsel, 202-789-6820 and firstname.lastname@example.org.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
On July 2, 2009, the Postal Service filed a formal request pursuant to 39 U.S.C. 3642 and 39 CFR 3020.30 et seq. to add Express Mail & Priority Mail Contract 6 to the Competitive Product List. On July 6, 2009, the Postal Service filed a revised version of its filing which includes attachments inadvertently omitted from the July 2, 2009 request. The Postal Service asserts that the Express Mail & Priority Mail Contract 6 product is a competitive product “not of general applicability” within the meaning of 39 U.S.C. 3632(b)(3). Id. at 1. The Request has been assigned Docket No. MC2009-31.
The Postal Service contemporaneously filed a contract related to the proposed new product pursuant to 39 U.S.C. 3632(b)(3) and 39 CFR 3015.5. Id. at 2. The contract has been assigned Docket No. CP2009-42.
Request. The Request incorporates (1) A redacted version of the Governors' Decision authorizing the new product; (2) a redacted version of the contract; (3) requested changes to the Mail Classification Schedule product list; (4) a statement of supporting justification as required by 39 CFR 3020.32; and (5) certification of compliance with 39 U.S.C. 3633(a). Substantively, the Request seeks to add Express Mail & Priority Mail Contract 6 to the Competitive Product List. Request at 1-2.
In the Statement of Supporting Justification, Mary Prince Anderson, Manager, Sales and Communications, Expedited Shipping, asserts that the service to be provided under the contract will cover its attributable costs, make a positive contribution to institutional costs, and increase contribution toward the requisite 5.5 percent of the Postal Service's total institutional costs. Id., Attachment D. Thus, Ms. Anderson contends there will be no issue of subsidization of competitive products by market dominant products as a result of this contract. Id.
Related contract. A redacted version of the specific Express Mail & Priority Mail Contract 6 is included with the Request. The contract has an initial term of 3 years and is to be effective 1 day after the Commission provides all necessary regulatory approvals. The Postal Service represents that the contract is consistent with 39 U.S.C. 3633(a) and 39 CFR 3015.7(c). See id., Attachment A and Attachment E. It notes that actual performance under this contract could vary from estimates, but concludes that the risks are manageable. Id., Attachment A.
The Postal Service filed much of the supporting materials, including the Governors' Decision and the specific Express Mail & Priority Mail Contract 6, under seal. In its Request, the Postal Service maintains that the contract and related financial information, including the customer's name and the accompanying analyses that provide prices, terms, conditions, and financial projections should remain under seal. Id. at 2-3.
II. Notice of Filings
The Commission establishes Docket Nos. MC2009-31 and CP2009-42 for consideration of the Request pertaining to the proposed Express Mail & Priority Mail Contract 6 product and the related contract, respectively. In keeping with practice, these dockets are addressed on a consolidated basis for purposes of this Order; however, future filings should be made in the specific docket in which issues being addressed pertain.
Interested persons may submit comments on whether the Postal Service's filings in the captioned dockets are consistent with the policies of 39 U.S.C. 3632, 3633, or 3642 and 39 CFR part 3015 and 39 CFR part 3020 subpart B. Comments are due no later than July 15, 2009. The public portions of these filings can be accessed via the Commission's Web site (http://www.prc.gov).
The Commission appoints Paul L. Harrington to serve as Public Representative in these dockets.
III. Ordering Paragraphs
It is ordered:
1. The Commission establishes Docket Nos. MC2009-31 and CP2009-42 for consideration of the matters raised in each docket.
2. Pursuant to 39 U.S.C. 505, Paul L. Harrington is appointed to serve as officer of the Commission (Public Representative) to represent the interests of the general public in these proceedings.
3. Comments by interested persons in these proceedings are due no later than July 15, 2009.
1. The Secretary shall arrange for publication of this Order in the Federal Register.Start Signature
Dated: July 7, 2009.
By the Commission.
Judith M. Grady,
1. Request of the United States Postal Service to Add Express Mail & Priority Mail Contract 6 to Competitive Product List and Notice of Establishment of Rates and Class Not of General Applicability, July 2, 2009.Back to Citation
2. Errata to Request of the United States Postal Service to Add Express Mail & Priority Mail Contract 6 to Competitive Product List and Notice of Establishment of Rates and Class Not of General Applicability, July 6, 2009 (Request).Back to Citation
3. Attachment A to the Request consists of the redacted Decision of the Governors of the United States Postal Service on Establishment of Rate and Class Not of General Applicability for Express Mail and Priority Mail Services (Governors' Decision No. 09-9). The Governors' Decision includes an attachment which provides an analysis of the proposed Express Mail and Priority Mail Contract 6 and certification of the Governors' vote. Attachment B is the redacted version of the contract. Attachment C shows the requested changes to the Mail Classification Schedule product list. Attachment D provides a Statement of Supporting Justification for the Request. Attachment E provides the certification of compliance with 39 U.S.C. 3633(a).Back to Citation
[FR Doc. E9-16632 Filed 7-10-09; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7710-FW-P