International Trade Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce.
Notice of an opportunity to apply for membership on the Manufacturing Council.
The Department of Commerce is currently seeking applications for membership on the Manufacturing Council (Council). The purpose of the Council is to advise the Secretary of Commerce on matters relating to the competitiveness of the U.S. manufacturing sector and to provide a forum for regular communication between Government and the manufacturing sector.
The Manufacturing and Services division of the International Trade Administration oversees the administration of the Council and collaborates with Congress and other stakeholders to increase the global competitiveness of the U.S. manufacturing sector, and works to connect U.S. industry to the resources and tools available in the federal government to help support the creation of sustainable, highly skilled jobs for the 21st century economy.
Please submit application information via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to J. Marc Chittum, Office of Advisory Committees, Manufacturing Council Executive Secretariat, U.S. Department of Commerce, Room 4043, 1401 Constitution Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20230.
All applications must be received by the Office of Advisory Committees by close of business on April 15, 2010.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
J. Marc Chittum, Manufacturing Council, Room 4043, 1401 Constitution Avenue, NW., Washington, DC 20230, telephone: 202-482-4501, e-mail: email@example.com. Please visit the Manufacturing Council Web site at: http://www.manufacturing.gov/council/.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The Department of Commerce is in the process of renewing the Manufacturing Council charter for another two-year term. The Office of Advisory Committees is accepting applications for Council members for the new two-year charter term beginning April 2010. Members are appointed for a two-year term to serve until the Council's charter expires on April 10, 2012. Members will be selected in accordance with applicable Department of Commerce guidelines based on their ability to advise the Secretary of Commerce on matters relating to the U.S. manufacturing sector, to act as a liaison among the stakeholders represented by the membership and to provide a forum Start Printed Page 12508for those stakeholders on current and emerging issues in the manufacturing sector. The Council's membership shall reflect the diversity of American manufacturing by representing a balanced cross-section of the U.S. manufacturing industry in terms of industry sectors, geographic locations, demographics, and company size, particularly seeking the representation of small- and medium-sized enterprises. Additional factors which may be considered in the selection of Council members include candidates' proven experience in developing and marketing programs in support of manufacturing industries, job creation in the manufacturing sector, or the candidates' proven abilities to manage manufacturing organizations. Given the duties and objectives of the Council, the Department particularly seeks applicants who are active manufacturing executives (Chief Executive Officer, President, and a comparable level of responsibility) that are leaders within their local manufacturing communities and industries.
Each Council member shall serve as the representative of a U.S. entity in the manufacturing sector. For the purposes of eligibility, a U.S. entity shall be defined as a firm incorporated in the United States (or an unincorporated firm with its principal place of business in the United States) that is controlled by U.S. citizens or by another U.S. entity. An entity is not a U.S. entity if 50 percent plus one share of its stock (if a corporation, or a similar ownership interest of an unincorporated entity) is controlled, directly or indirectly, by non-U.S. citizens or non-U.S. entities.
Appointments to the Council will be made by the Secretary of Commerce. Council members will serve at the discretion of the Secretary of Commerce. Council members shall serve in a representative capacity, representing the views and interests of their particular industry sector. Council members are not special government employees.
Council members will receive no compensation for their participation in Council activities. Members participating in Council meetings and events will be responsible for their travel, living and other personal expenses.
Meetings will be held regularly and not less than annually, usually in Washington, DC. Members are required to attend a majority of the Council meetings. The first Council meeting for the new charter term has not yet been set.
To be considered for membership, please provide the following:
1. Name and title of the individual requesting consideration.
2. A sponsor letter from the applicant on organization letterhead or, if the applicant is to represent an entity other than his or her employer, a letter from the entity to be represented, containing a brief statement of why the applicant should be considered for membership on the Council. This sponsor letter should also address the applicant's manufacturing-related experience, including any manufacturing trade policy experience.
3. The applicant's personal resume.
4. An affirmative statement that the applicant is not required to register as a foreign agent under the Foreign Agents Registration Act of 1938, as amended.
5. An affirmative statement that the applicant is not a federally registered lobbyist, and that the applicant understands that if appointed, the applicant will not be allowed to continue to serve as a Council member if the applicant becomes a federally registered lobbyist.
6. Information regarding the control of the entity to be represented, including the governing structure and stock holdings as appropriate signifying compliance with the criteria set forth above.
7. The entity's size and ownership, product or service line and major markets in which the entity operates.
8. Please include all relevant contact information such as mailing address, fax, e-mail, fixed and mobile phone numbers and support staff information where relevant.Start Signature
Dated: March 11, 2010.
Director, Office of Advisory Committees.
[FR Doc. 2010-5716 Filed 3-15-10; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3510-DR-P