Postal Regulatory Commission.
The Commission is noticing a recently-filed Postal Service request to add Express Mail Contract 10 to the competitive product list. This notice addresses procedural steps associated with this filing.
Comments are due: December 29, 2010.
Submit comments electronically via the Commission's Filing Online system at http://www.prc.gov. Commenters who cannot submit their views electronically should contact the person identified in FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT by telephone for advice on alternatives to electronic filing.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Stephen L. Sharfman, General Counsel, firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-789-6820.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
Table of Contents
II. Notice of Filing
III. Ordering Paragraphs
Pursuant to 39 U.S.C. 3642 and 39 CFR 3020.30 et seq., the Postal Service filed a formal request and associated supporting information to add Express Mail Contract 10 to the competitive product list. The Postal Service asserts that Express Mail Contract 10 is a competitive product “not of general applicability” within the meaning of 39 U.S.C. 3632(b)(3). Id. at 1. The Postal Service states that the prices and classification underlying this contract are supported by Governors' Decision No. 09-14 in Docket No. MC2010-5 and CP2010-5. Id. The Request has been assigned Docket No. MC2011-12.
Request. In support of its Request, the Postal Service filed six attachments as follows:
- Attachment A—a redacted copy of Governors' Decision No. 09-14, originally filed in Docket No. MC2010-5, authorizing certain Express Mail contracts;
- Attachment B—a redacted copy of the contract;
- Attachment C—a proposed change in the Mail Classification Schedule competitive product list;
- Attachment D—a Statement of Supporting Justification as required by 39 CFR 3020.32;
- Attachment E—a certification of compliance with 39 U.S.C. 3633(a); and
- Attachment F—an application for non-public treatment of materials to maintain redacted portions of the contract and supporting documents under seal.
In the Statement of Supporting Justification, Josen Punnoose, Manager, Shipping Support (A), Shipping Services, asserts that the service to be provided under the contract will cover its attributable costs, make a positive contribution to institutional costs, and increase contribution toward the requisite 5.5 percent of the Postal Service's total institutional costs. Id., Attachment D. Thus, Mr. Punnoose contends there will be no issue of subsidization of competitive products by market dominant products as a result of this contract. Id.
Related contract. A redacted version of the specific Express Mail Contract 10 is included with the Request. The contract will become effective the day that the Commission provides all necessary regulatory approvals. The contract states it “shall expire 3 years from the effective date, unless (1) terminated by either Party with 30 days notice to the other Party in writing * * *.” The Postal Service represents that the contract is consistent with 39 U.S.C. 3633 (a). See id., Attachment D.
The Postal Service maintains that the contract and related financial information, including the customer's name and the accompanying analyses that provide prices, terms, conditions, cost data, and financial projections, should remain under seal. See id., Attachment F. It also requests that the Commission order that the duration of such treatment of all customer-identifying information be extended indefinitely, instead of ending after 10 years. Id. at 7.Start Printed Page 80861
II. Notice of Filings
The Commission establishes Docket Nos. MC2011-12 and CP2011-48 for consideration of the Request pertaining to the proposed Express Mail Contract 10 product and the related contract, respectively.
Interested persons may submit comments on whether the Postal Service's filings in the captioned dockets are consistent with the policies of 39 U.S.C. 3632, 3633, or 3642 and 39 CFR part 3015 and 39 CFR 3020, subpart B. Comments are due no later than December 29, 2010. The public portions of these filings can be accessed via the Commission's Web site (http://www.prc.gov).
The Commission appoints Derrick D. Dennis to serve as Public Representative in these dockets.
III. Ordering Paragraphs
It is ordered:
1. The Commission establishes Docket Nos. MC2011-12 and CP2011-48 for consideration of the matters raised in each docket.
2. Pursuant to 39 U.S.C. 505, Derrick D. Dennis is appointed to serve as officer of the Commission (Public Representative) to represent the interests of the general public in these proceedings.
3. Comments by interested persons in these proceedings are due no later than December 29, 2010.
4. The Secretary shall arrange for publication of this order in the Federal Register.Start Signature
By the Commission.
Shoshana M. Grove,
1. Request of the United States Postal Service to Add Express Mail Contract 10 to Competitive Product List and Notice of Filing (Under Seal) of Supporting Data, December 16, 2010 (Request).Back to Citation
[FR Doc. 2010-32221 Filed 12-22-10; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 7710-FW-P