Bureau of the Census, Commerce.
Notice of request for nominations.
The Bureau of the Census (Census Bureau) is requesting nominations of individuals and organizations to the Census Scientific Advisory Committee. The Census Bureau will consider nominations received in response to this notice, as well as from other sources. The SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION section of this notice provides committee and membership criteria.
Please submit nominations by March 31, 2011.
Please submit nominations to Jeri Green, Chief, Census Advisory Committee Office, Census Bureau, Room 8H182, 4600 Silver Hill Road, Washington, DC 20233. Nominations also may be submitted via fax at 301-763-8609, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.Start Further Info
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:
Jeri Green, Chief, Census Advisory Committee Office, Census Bureau, Room 8H182, 4600 Silver Hill Road, Washington, DC 20233, telephone (301) 763-2070.End Further Info End Preamble Start Supplemental Information
The Committee was established in accordance with the Federal Advisory Committee Act (Title 5, United States Code, Appendix 2). The following provides information about the committee, membership, and the nomination process.
Objectives and Duties
1. The Advisory Committee advises the Director of the Census Bureau on the uses of scientific developments in statistical data collection, statistical analysis, survey methodology, geospatial analysis, econometrics, cognitive psychology, and computer science as they pertain to the full range of Census Bureau programs and activities (including: communications, decennial, demographic, economic, field operations, geographic, information technology, and statistics).
2. The Advisory Committee provides scientific and technical expertise from the following disciplines: demography, economics, geography, psychology, statistics, survey methodology, social and behavioral sciences, Information Technology and computing, marketing, communications and other fields of expertise, as appropriate, to address Census Bureau program needs and objectives. This expertise is necessary to ensure that the Census Bureau continues to provide relevant and timely statistics used by federal, state, and local governments as well as business and industry in an increasingly technologically-oriented society.
3. The Advisory Committee functions solely as an advisory body under the Federal Advisory Committee Act.
4. The Advisory Committee reports to the Director of the Census Bureau.
1. The Advisory Committee will consist of no more than 20 members and one Chair appointed by the Director of the Census Bureau.
2. Members are appointed for a two or three year term with staggered term-end dates.
3. Members shall serve as either Special Government Employees (SGEs) or Representatives. Committee membership will be reevaluated at the conclusion of the two or three-year term with the prospect of member renewal, pending meeting attendance, administrative compliance, Census Bureau needs and the Director's concurrence.
4. Committee members are selected in accordance with applicable Department of Commerce guidelines. The Advisory Committee aims to have balanced representation, considering such factors as geography, technical and scientific expertise. The Advisory Committee will include members from diverse backgrounds, including academia and private enterprise which are further diversified by business type or industry, geography, and other factors.
5. No employee of the federal government can serve as a member of the Advisory Committee. Meeting attendance and active participation in the activities of the Advisory Committee are essential for sustained Advisory Committee membership as well as submission of required annual financial disclosure statements by those who serve as Special Government Employees.
1. Members of the Advisory Committee serve without compensation, but receive reimbursement for committee-related travel and lodging expenses.
2. The Advisory Committee meets at least once a year, budget permitting, but additional meetings may be held as deemed necessary by the Census Director or Designated Federal Official. All Advisory Committee meetings are open to the public in accordance with the Federal Advisory Committee Act.
1. Nominations are requested as described above.
2. Nominees must have scientific and technical expertise in such areas as demography, economics, geography, psychology, statistics, survey methodology, social and behavioral sciences, Information Technology, computing or marketing. Such knowledge and expertise are needed to provide advice and recommendations to the Director of the Census Bureau on the trends, uses and application of scientific innovations and developments in relation to the full range of Census Bureau programs and activities.
3. Individuals, groups, and/or organizations may submit nominations on behalf of an individual candidate. A summary of the candidate's qualifications (resumé or curriculum vitae) must be included along with the nomination letter. Nominees must be able to actively participate in the tasks of the Advisory Committee, including, but not limited to regular meeting attendance, committee meeting discussant responsibilities, and review of materials, as well as participation in conference calls, webinars, working groups, and special committee activities.
4. Nominations of organizations may come from individuals or organizations. Organizations also may self-nominate. A summary of the organization's qualifications and the experience that qualifies it for membership should be included in the nomination letter. Nominated organizations must be able to actively participate in the tasks of the Advisory Committee, including, but not limited to regular meeting attendance, review of materials, and participation in conference calls, webinars, working groups, and special committee activities.
5. The Department of Commerce is committed to equal opportunity in the workplace and seeks diverse Advisory Committee membership.Start Signature
Dated: February 22, 2011.
Robert M. Groves,
Director, Bureau of the Census.
[FR Doc. 2011-4478 Filed 2-28-11; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 3510-07-P